Christopher Brodie is no more

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Christopher Brodie is no more

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

I don't know if any of you lovely people will remember, back in March, the story of Christopher Brodie? Well, the wee darling is no more. He was doing well, with the odd setback, the occasional loss of a tooth etc. but content. He was taken to the Vet a couple of weeks back as, normally amenable to taking his pills, he struggled, blood soaked ribbons of slaver from either side of his mouth. We took him to see Lovely Vet instantly, diagnosed with a 'dirty' mouth infection, but treatable. However, due to Covid we could only be spoken to over the telephone and had to hand the lad over in the car park, LV called and sadly told us Christopher's heart was beating at the rate of knots. Despite his ongoing medication, he would develop congestive heart disease and that would be it. It could be days, weeks or months. Thursday and Friday just gone Christopher had a lovely time, sitting in the garden in the sun, in and out the cat flap, eating non stop, sleeping well. Yesterday morning, I noticed he hadn't eaten his Friday supper but put this down to the vast amounts eaten during the day. Sadly, it was a slippery slope, nothing eaten for two days, very unresponsive, time to say goodbye. We are of course heartbroken and the house is silent. But there will be no more pets. We have loved and lost too many wonderful animals over the years and neither of us can go through this again. Goodbye wonderful Christopher Brodie.

Issi
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Christopher Brodie is no more

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear this, RIP little one
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry - he was a very special cat.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Oh yes I remember CB very well. I remember offering you a long and humorous post about CB not caring for your declarations of No More Pets or your broken hearts, something about the last homecoming before the final homecoming, and every cat being sent to us for a reason. I remember us all knowing this was only ever going to go one way from the moment you asked for advice.

If CB's purpose for you in your lives are not clear yet then it will be, soon. Is it a coincidence if he came to you for lockdown and now has left? He chose you to give him his wonderful ninth life full of love and care, when you thought you had done your share of loving and caring and retired. But we never retire from loving and caring, and how fortunate are you and Mr B to have been able to share these past 6 months.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Thank your my dear Mollycat. Yes, I remember your post in response to my protestations of No More Cats! How right you were, my boy was a total joy but his organs were shutting down and we did not want him to deteriorate further, or worse, die from a massive heart attack, which we think he would have done if left another day. We did not tell the vet any of this, just his symptoms, but she confirmed our 'diagnosis' both over the telephone and after a thorough examination. Despite restrictions, we were allowed to be with him at the end. She brought him to us wrapped in his warm blanket, I kissed and cuddled him because he always loved that, he wasn't scared, my boy just closed his eyes, his head drooped. It was so peaceful and gentle, my husband and the Vet had to whisper to me he had actually died. I'm not ashamed to say that on the way out, passing other masked pet lovers I wept bitter tears. Today we have donated all things cat related to Cats Protection and paid our very last Vet bill. I wept again because it is the end of a lifetime of loving and caring, both giving and receiving in spades. My God, the house is quiet!

Issi
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello my friend Issie. I’m so sorry to hear about Christopher Brodie. Last time we “spoke” you had Gandhi. I haven’t been on CC for sometime but posted on General CC earlier in the week & the “et all” included you. I’ve never forgotten the kind words you sent me about life. Vivian from Oz.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Hi there dear Vivien. I'm not in the chat room much because I no longer have any pets, but today, I thought I would check in. Sadly, my beloved grey cushion, Gandhi, at times a right pain in the bum, but mostly, our loving, gentle comforting old fluff bum has also died. The Vet nurses used to say they had never dealt with such a lovely, amenable old gent, but his 'bouts' were becoming more frequent as time went on. Mind you, he was 16yrs old, a good age for a cat that needed so much attention from day one! I mourn him, but to be honest Viv, we had nicknamed him Lazarus as I mourned his 'passing' so many times over the last few years. The house is hideously quiet, no longer full of children or pets. Here's my question lovely friend, in my quiet house, (my beloved hubby is a taciturn Scot, never uses a sentence when a nod or a single word will do)I suddenly seem to be mourning all my pets now long gone, I don't wallow but do remember and sometimes have a quiet weep, but oddly, I also mourn for the fact there will be no more little bodies quietly padding about the house, be they cat, dog or gerbil, am I odd? Is this normal? By the way, hope you are okay, you have had a hellish time in Australia this year and I've thought about you often. Hope your 'renewed' friendship still thrives.

Love from sunny (!?) closed down Glasgow
Issi
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello Issie aahh so sorry about Gandhi. From memory you were concerned about him & was there something about travel plans. I remember the passing of Armand. Yes homes are so quiet when our fur babes leave us. Isn’t it odd I haven’t been on CC for ages & on seeing your post on Christopher B was hoping you’d see my post. Amazing how things happen. I posted under General Cat Chatting hoping to connect with folks & it’s been nice chatting with folks again. As for that “renewed” friendship as they say once bitten once shy!! Btw I’ve a goal once international travel is normal a world trip with Ireland, Scotland & Wales planned destinations. And I’m hoping I can experience a white Xmas. The only thing it’s a long way to travel on your own. Perhaps we could plan to meet. I’m pretty sure you can contact me via my profile. There’s nothing wrong with someone of few words. Keep safe my friend & in my thoughts.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Ah yes dear Viv, my darlings Armand and Cody died within 4 weeks of each other. Poor Cody. We were given false hope and tried to medicate the wee sweetheart, beautiful inside and out, but she never would take a pill. Her final, fortunately few, sick days, haunts me still. We were distraught, honestly thought we would never recover from our grief and indeed, it did take a long while. Then Gandhi, then Christopher Brodie. Although me and hubby are often complimented on our youthful looks and attitudes, normally have plenty of interests, we both feel the passing of time and Covid restrictions keenly. The burden of loss, both animal and human, is becoming harder to bear. Hubby has declared that after years of raising family, pets and inevitable loss, he has had enough, time now for just the two of us. It makes sense ..but...
Not sure of a White Christmas in Scotland or Ireland, but you will probably get a wet one! Wales, to my shame, I have never travelled to, even though I was raised in Yorkshire(England).
Have to go. Boris is on the radio rambling on incoherently about Brexit and I feel the need to rant and call him names. In Scotland, fortunately, we have our own First Minister, Nicola, guiding us. A bit of a scary bird though, as my hubby says 'wouldn't dare take home a burst pay packet!'

Lots of virtual hugs and Christmas kisses to you and your pets.
Issi