I lost my little furry friend of only a year and 2 months

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Ktj
New Cat Chatter

I lost my little furry friend of only a year and 2 months

Post by Ktj »

So I don’t really know where to start,I need some advice on how to deal with this or anything I can do I’m so upset and hurt don’t really know what to do or who to talk to.

I’ll give you a little back story on my cat shadow I got her at about 5/6 weeks old very young the lady lied about her age to us she suckled on my face and would dig her claws in where ever she could, she was a little poorly when she a couple of weeks older but took her to the vets to be given eye drops and stuff and it went away.

After that no problems, she was an indoor cat but loved to escape and explore the fields! She was such a fussy little eater would only eat certain meat and sometimes didn’t like it. She really was a pain but she was the best thing to happen she helped me with so much ( I’ve recently lost 2 people extremely close to me) so shadow helped with everyday just something fluffy to stroke always wanting attention or you to grab a fly so she can eat it she was always meowing at something.

So on Wednesday I picked her up and she was meowing loud like I hurt her I just put her on the floor and didn’t think anything of it, I came back that evening and went to pick her up and in the Palm Of my hand I could feel a ball a little hard ball I panicked as she was screaming when I touched it. I went to the vets the next morning pets at home I rang in regards to see if they had any payment plans available as I only had enough for the check up! Apparently not so I have taken shadow in and explained to the vet she has taken shadow and looked at her, she comes back out to tell me shadow has either eaten something or it’s a tumour...... I’m heartbroken to hear this she can’t tell me for sure and then asks if I would like a pain relief for shadow I said yes as. I didn’t want my little kitty in pain, she advised me to book an appointment for Monday and they can see what it is then as I get paid.... so you would leave thinking shadow would make it

I get her home and she not moving much side of her body was swollen, she just laying on the floor still getting up to eat and drink! She fine all weekend jumped up on the sofa when I wasn’t looking so I didn’t think she was any worse. Then Sunday came she in loads of pain screaming to get up wobbling everywhere not eating not closing her eyes just looked exhausted, i just feel I could of done more!!! We laid all the blankets and stuff in the bathroom floor for her as that the room she chose and spent all night on the floor with her, I just can’t get my head around how she was fine to just gone my little princess not even that old and she wasn’t poorly!! I just don’t understand.

Next Morning I’ve rang the vets to cancel my appointment and I asked about what shadow was injected with I was then told it’s a motion sickness injection not pain... would this of made any difference????
Attachments
C3965E6A-867D-4FFC-BE22-3DB96B3DD1E9.jpeg
20DBEFA0-367A-4DDE-B418-840DBD13957D.jpeg
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: I lost my little furry friend of only a year and 2 months

Post by Mollycat »

I'm so sorry I don't have anything helpful to offer, just didn't want to scroll on without saying I'm sorry for your loss. It's always so tough but especially to lose a furry friend so young leaves us with a million questions and no answers.

Just remember Shadow was fine for a few days after her vet visit and her injection, before the pain came back. Regardless of what was in the injection, it took the pain away for those days. It's not the pain that took her from you, there was some problem that the vet was due to look at the next day and it's so sad that it was too late but you couldn't have known and neither could the vet.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry - such a sudden and devastating loss. Drugs for motion sickness can also be mildly sedative and relieve intestinal pain - this may be why your vet chose it. Whatever it was it clearly made her more comfortable for several days and neither you nor your vet could know she would deteriorate so suddenly and seriously. Cats are very, very good at hiding pain and discomfort, so it is possible that this was an incurable tumour that had been growing for some time. You did everything you could for her, and it is very likely that nothing you or the vets could have done would have saved her.

Be kind to yourselves - grief is harsh and painful, and only time really helps.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

fjm wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:56 am I am so sorry - such a sudden and devastating loss. Drugs for motion sickness can also be mildly sedative and relieve intestinal pain - this may be why your vet chose it. Whatever it was it clearly made her more comfortable for several days and neither you nor your vet could know she would deteriorate so suddenly and seriously. Cats are very, very good at hiding pain and discomfort, so it is possible that this was an incurable tumour that had been growing for some time. You did everything you could for her, and it is very likely that nothing you or the vets could have done would have saved her.

Be kind to yourselves - grief is harsh and painful, and only time really helps.
My heart breaks for you. To lose a pet at any age is heart breaking but to lose your beautiful companion so early in life, when you least expect it, is unbearable. I 'quote' fjm because his words struck a cord. I lost my adopted 'oldie' on Monday. I mention this because 2 weeks ago today we were warned he was heading for heart failure but it might be a few weeks. However, he was given a painkiller and antibiotics and had an excellent few days. But when the effects wore off, he went downhill rapidly. The Vet said 'there is much more going on inside his body that we can account for' and I think that would be true in the case of your beloved Shadow. Shadow was very ill and the outcome was inevitable. There is nothing anyone can say to ease your pain, however, the harsh, gut wrenching grief will pass, I promise you, leaving you with sad but a lot of happy memories. Every day it hurts, but each day a little less. Take care of yourself.

Issi