18yr sweet Peaches passed last night, unexpectedly

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Peaches Momma
New Cat Chatter

18yr sweet Peaches passed last night, unexpectedly

Post by Peaches Momma »

I am at a loss right now, I am not doing well at all..... I have had my sweet girl for 18yrs now, I found her at 2 weeks old, she didn't have a momma so I became her momma. I helped her with everything, potty, cleanings, feedings, all the things and she became the queen of this castle. Sure, she was a female orange tabby with a spit fire attitude, she didn't like a lot of people, but she LOVED and adored me. I was the one person in this house that she would follow around, sleep with, love on, "talk to", play with, and get super finicky with. She loved to sleep on my side of the bed, it had to be my side of the bed, and that was where she was last night. The last few months I noticed a change in her, she wasn't grooming herself the way she used to, so her beautiful longer peach colored fur was getting matted and falling out all over. She had started to meow very loudly at night over the last few weeks, after much research from the sounds of it she was losing her eye sight and hearing. Otherwise, she was eating regularly, jumping regularly, she was not the biggest player (however she hadn't been for a while), but other than the prior everything else was normal until last night. I had just got done giving her all sorts of lovin (she seemed to have gotten way more lovable in the recent months with me too, she followed me EVERYWHERE). She was laying on her usual spot on my bed as I put my clothes away, my dog Zeke was laying beside her, she got up and rubbed her nose on his (which was unusual) I started kissing her nose, loved on her and took some pics. Little did I know that 30 mins later I was going to lose her. I walked out of the room, Zeke followed me as usual, when I came back he jumped up and was licking Peaches faces, I was startled at 1st because he usually plays to rough with her, so I thought he was trying to play til I noticed her body. Her entire body was stiffening, her head tilted up and and I ran to her, when I got her she went limp, her pupils were huge, I put my hand around her neck and her head just hung there. All of a sudden she gasp 1 more gulp and then nothing again, she was gone, I sat with her wrapped in the blanket for the next hour crying and wondering what happened, begging her to wake up. I don't know what happened, it came out of nowhere, she was fine and then she wasn't. My heart is broke into a million pieces, we had to wrap her in a blanket and put her in an air tight box til this morning so we can take her to be cremated because the vet wasn't open and that about KILLED me. Ugh IDK what or how to feel but I am broken and shattered and this pain to go away!!!! I will always miss my Peaches, my sweet sweet Peaches!!!
Lenelor
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 18yr sweet Peaches passed last night, unexpectedly

Post by Lenelor »

I lost my sweet cat last week, too, on January 25. She was 21 years old and it is SO HARD. She was also an orange tabby, and kept most people at a distance except me, although she mellowed out her last few years. I've been periodically feeling like I'm going crazy because of the waves of intense emotions. Losing her was like losing a close family member. My brain keeps replaying her last day, her last week, and I bet you're experiencing the same thing. Instead of doing my work I keep looking at photos of her and writing letters to her about how much I love her. I swear I am not usually this whacked out, like I don't usually write to my pets. Other people grieve different ways, and how upset you are is completely understandable and valid. I hope you are able to find some moments of peace and good memories as a respite from the painful emotions.