Urgent rehoming advice needed

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Laufeena
Returning Cat Chatter

Urgent rehoming advice needed

Post by Laufeena »

Hi,

I’ve been a pet owner for over 10 years and I’m for the first time ever having to find a new home for my pet cat.

I’m heavily pregnant, waters have broken, but as I’m not going into labour yet being sent home. My son was allergic to cats (this was confirmed by the hospital that it was definitely a cat allergy) I managed to sort this out with medication for my son at the time as he was 3 years old and able to take antihistamine medication.

I’m expecting my unborn child to have the same issue but with me being in a possible preterm birth at the moment and the risks that are now posing to my unborn child with my waters broken I cannot safely and in good conscience wait any longer for our original solution to go as planned.

Since June we have been in wait to move into a 3 bed house from our flat and should be due to move towards the end of October which would have given us time to get the cat to use outdoors for toilet needs instead of a litter tray in a cramped 2 bed flat that we’re in at the moment.

I have been in hospital since yesterday morning 2/3am and finally awaiting to be sent home… but we’re now expecting the baby to be preterm born within the next week or so and will not be able to get the move done beforehand.

This now poses a very high risk environment for my child and though I’ve contacted cats protection and a few other places for help I’m being told it could take 6 weeks before we get any help at all and I’m stuck with what I can do to protect my child.

I do not have any other options that I can take at this stage and genuinely need urgent support and help.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Urgent rehoming advice needed

Post by Mollycat »

What a difficult situation for you.

There is no guarantee that your second child will have the same allergies as the first, is it really not possible to get through the next 6 weeks until you move?

Other than dust, I'm not sure what health hazard cat litter presents, at least not until they start to crawl and try everything with their mouth! But even that can be resolved with a small crate containing the litter tray with access only big enough for a cat not a baby.

If there really is no other option than to rehome the cat, one thing is on your side, that more people want an indoor cat, so if your cat has never been outdoors that might help her find a home quicker.

I can't imagine having to make such a heartbreaking decision to let go a family member like this. My poppet has been with me for over 9 years now and I still struggle to understand how she fell victim to a relationship breakup, as I see her even now growing in confidence and trust, still now processing and getting over the traumas from so long ago.
Laufeena
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Laufeena »

Thank you for your input Mollycat.

This really is a hard decision I’ve had to come to, my concerns are the issues of the harsh chemicals released from the cats urine and poop due to the door having to be left open, even with me sorting it out straight away every time and throughly cleaning the litter tray every time it would still pose a threat to a premature baby whose lungs aren’t fully developed especially if they ended up with respiratory problems from the preterm birth.

With my son being allergic and me having to face the fact that the baby could be I can’t take the risk and endanger my unborn child.

I had contemplated asking family to have her until were able to move but the last pet I asked them to help with (an 11 year old chocolate Labrador who was an angel) they ended up putting them down because they couldn’t handle that my pet needed to be looked after properly by not being given leftovers due to weight issues that previous owners had put her through which I had been combating and improving over the 5 year I had her (was on board line of good weight when I had to ask for their help) and medication because of arthritis (which I had supplied and paid for myself), broke my heart when they told me she was gone, they didn’t even tell me they were going to do it so I don’t feel safe putting my cat into this same situation with them.

I have exhausted all my other options but I cannot think of any other solution, my cat has been both an indoor cat and an outdoor cat, she is neutered, up-to-date with all jabs, dewormers and deflea medication, she has an intolerance to salmon/fish products but otherwise is healthy, full of energy and very social. She takes time when introduced to other pets but can live happily with dogs, cats and other pets. She’s a typical lap cat and will happily curl up on your lap anytime and just sleep on you, she’s been with me since December 2012 and has moved with me to and from all previous homes without any issues and always been content and settled within 3 days of us moving. She’s never displayed any negative behaviours even when my son at 3 years was a bit rough with trying to pet her she’s always just chosen to stay away for a while instead of hiss or bite, never even did this on the one occasion when my son at 5 had pulled down on her tail which I’m glad I could resolve quickly, she was given some dreamies and cuddles to apologise for her ordeal at the time.

Needless to say it is upsetting me that I must look at rehoming as my last solution but I wouldn’t be able to ensure that the cat wouldn’t get close to my child and I don’t feel it’s fair to shove the cat into one room which would have to be my son’s room due to the cramped 2 bed flat we’re in even if it’s for potentially a month and a half nor feel like I have to lock my child away in the bedroom with no space to lay on a playmat or to be with me when awake around the house.

I have to be reasonable and honest about my situation and the only fair option I can see now is one where my cat can be loved and cared by another person who isn’t going to just put her down and for my child to be able to come to a home that is safe for them to enter.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Yes I think the bit about how much more fragile a premature baby is sort of went over my head, I see what you mean.

How old is the cat?
Laufeena
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Laufeena »

My cat is now 13/14 years of age. I’m certain that she still has a good 5 years in her considering her health and how much energy she still has when I play with her.

She still loves chasing her mouse laser pen, playing a little bit of gentle tug of war with string and messing with little bell balls. She’s also trained to use a litter tray or outside for toilet needs dependent on what her home situation is.

She honestly is an incredible cat and deserves to be looked after in the best ways possible.
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Hi Laufeena,

We are sorry to hear that you are having to consider rehoming your pet cat.

Cat Chat’s rehoming advice page should help, which also includes advice on ways to avoid having to rehome: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/rehome-pet-cat

You could also email Cat Chat’s Help Desk for further advice: cat.advice (at) catchat.org

Hope that helps.
Laufeena
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Laufeena »

Just wanted to update the situation now for anyone who might ever have to face the same thing.

My little girl was born prematurely on Monday 3rd October but weighing a good weight of 6lb 2oz considering how early she was. She was allowed home with me yesterday, cat never got collected or sorted but we thought we could try and manage for maybe an extra week with the housing situation, however within just 2 hours of my daughter being brought home she developed a severe rash across her whole body and started going blue in the face, the cat never got close to physically touch her but I presume there was cat hairs in the air or something… my daughter is now in hospital has been diagnosed with a severe allergy to cats and is now fighting for her life. I’ve been told this morning that she will not be able to return home with me until the cat has been removed from the home and the place has been properly cleaned down and settled for a minimum of 2 weeks to ensure she doesn’t have any further reactions.

She is currently in an incubator where I cannot touch her with multiple wires going into her tiny little body. I cannot express enough how devastated I feel at the moment.

I have tried contacting every available cat rescue center and all I get is that they have a waiting list and will be in touch when they can collect the cat which means that I may not get to be with my daughter for several weeks at this rate.

I genuinely need an urgent removal of the cat and feel stupid for choosing to take the risk when I was already concerned this may have happened. But it seems like the cats getting more rights than my baby daughter who I’m desperately hoping will make a full recovery.

If anyone can provide any further advice or suggestions I’m all ears because I need this sorted immediately now so I have a chance of bringing my tiny little daughter back home safely.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Are you sure there isn't anyone you know, friends and family, neighbours, who would be sympathetic enough to help you out in this desperate situation, even putting the cat in one room until a permanent home can be found?

It does sound like cat and your family would be better going your separate ways but unless you're incredibly lucky there are thousands of cats in need of homes and the homing process with home checks doesn't happen overnight.
Laufeena
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Laufeena »

Unfortunately I don't have any neighbours who are suitable for taking on a cat, my next door neighbour one side is never in, the neighbour on ground floor has a dog who is known to chase smaller animals including cats, and my partner has already tried to ask everyone within our street if anyone would be able to take her on.

As for friends none of them have the time and resources to take on a pet in general.

As for family members as mentioned earlier before my family put down my dog when I asked them to look after her at the time and I don't feel it's wise to ask them to take on my cat just for them to put her down too.

My partner's family has a dog who again chases smaller animals such as squirrels, mice, and cats so will not be able to be taken on by a family member.

We're trying to do the decent thing of getting the cat looked after properly but considering how things have gone now I'm just desperate to get them removed.
Laujo
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Laujo »

Whereabouts are you based? If in the UK it might be worth posting on your local nextdoor app and reaching out to the local community.