Adopting from the SSPCA

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Adopting from the SSPCA

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Hi fellow cat lovers. Whilst I have nearly always homed animals (especially cats) from smaller charities, I have never adopted a cat from the Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to animals. I recently read somewhere that the SSPCA has 350 cats + in their care and was wondering if anyone had ever adopted through them? There is a Centre here in Glasgow and others in nearby towns. It may seem a strange question but I ask because many years ago, a dear friend of mine went with his wife to adopt a dog. They both came away in tears because there were so many, they couldn't decide. I would like to hear of others experiences. Apparently, they have also had a small influx of Sphynx cats. I'm very attracted to them and wonder if anyone on the forum could advise on care? Ultimately of course, it all boils down to which cat(s) likes us and wants to move in. (For my cat pals in the know, dear hubby says he is now not getting a new front cat flap less door and the decision has been moved forward to November, says he's still not keen, but he does love cats and will accept their company!) Progress dear friends, slow progress.

Issi
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adopting from the SSPCA

Post by Mollycat »

I can't help you with Sphynxes though I gather most are kept as strictly indoor, and I also can't help you with the SSPCA or any other large or small shelter, but I can completely understand your dear friend being overwhelmed. I've always said I would not go in, I would ask them to bring me their least rehomeable resident, and take that. I could not choose. In fact, I have never chosen, not even my kittens!

Here's a run-down of my feline friends, maybe this might give you some inspiration.
1. Friends of my parents' cat had kittens and I got the last one left
2. Friends from school's cat had kittens and we got handed one
3. Vet was looking out for a kitten for us and gave us a perfectly healthy 18 month old cat that a client had asked her to PTS because she was having a baby and couldn't cope
4. Another friend from school, again the kitten was selected for us, here's yours
5. Our lodger picked up some people in his taxi who were looking to rehome their outdoor living cat
6. A walk-in
7. Another walk-in, from the same house as the first
8. Retired pedigree stud
9. Hope it's ok to say - Bristol and Wales Cat Rescue found for me according to my awkward requirements!

At no time have I ever gone or needed to go and make tough choices or leave anyone behind and thankfully never had to refuse one. Cats move in mysterious ways to end up exactly where they are supposed to be, as your CB did, at exactly the right time.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

We had a Sphynx once, I only met him once, but I wasn't convinced - they feel very different from a normal cat due to not having fur, they are supposed to feel like a peach, but you can feel more of their organs when you pick them up, which I found unsettling. Plus they have the oriental ears that I'm not keen on. They are supposed to be indoor only as they feel the cold more and do leave a greasy residue when they lie on things as they have no fur to soak it up, and some need extra help with keeping eyes and ears clean, and maybe even their claws, as they will damage themselves more scratching.

I'm also lucky that I've not had to be in the position of choosing, although I did choose Lucy. It was such a hard decision I actually went twice, once to look and then once to collect. I normally go for the oldest that has been there the longest, they did have cats older than Lucy but they had only just come in, I was torn between Lucy and Willow, ironically I went for Lucy as Willow was more aggressive to other cats, she had to be in a room of her own, whereas they had found someone Lucy would tolerate, they actually wanted me to take both, but June was young and playful and Lucy just wanted to sit on you, so I thought it would be too hard with my voluntary work and working. All had been there over 12 months and ironically when they opened in the new year, June and Willow both got homed, which made me feel a lot better about my decision. When I was rehoming, my favourite phone calls were people who wanted the older cats, although I got annoyed with people who said they wanted an older cat when really they meant 2-3 years old. There is a rescue near me that has hundreds of animals, I can walk round the cats with no problems, as they always seem content, but I can't walk round the dog kennels without being in tears
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Dear Mollycat and Booktigger. That's an awful lot of information to take in but I am finding it extremely useful, appreciate you both sharing your experiences. In regard to Sphynx cats, some time ago I was watching The Yorkshire Vet. It featured 3 Sphynx cats sitting so close together, you couldn't have slipped a credit card between, and my interest was piqued. But in my heart I know that I could not offer this breed a happy home, I have no experience in taking care of their 'special needs', it would not be fair. I felt the same when we fostered the sweet little Siamese cat. In her case, a neighbour who lives in a large Victorian house at the end of the road, had just lost her aged Siamese and was keen to adopt little Siam, who now lives happily with her other three cats of the same breed. With Christopher Brodie it was a different case altogether. We were bereft at the loss of our our sweet old gentleman, Gandhi, and although we stated we didn't want to adopt CB, he was so lovely, pouring a healing balm over our hearts. We lived happily together for the next few months until he died peacefully of old age. As you are always so open with me, I will be perfectly honest with you. In my heart of hearts, I dearly love and feel an affinity to black, grey and silver tabby cats.( but don't tell anybody ;) )Those moggies are the ones who will draw me to them. Of course, it will all depend on the 'discussion' at the end of November with my dear husband, and should he have healed from the loss of our other cats over the last 4yrs plus the traumatic visits to the Vet, oh how he hated that, even on a good day, it will all be down to which cats, wee Cody climbed up his trouser leg, he lifted her onto his shoulder, and home she came, choose us. We are generally thinking of pets aged 8yrs and upwards, we are comfortable that at our age, an older, more settled cat will suit. Many thanks for your responses.

Issi