Bewitched, bothered and ...

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Bewitched, bothered and ...

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

totally bewildered!! Oh dear Mollycat and booktigger,what am I to do. My dear husband played his first post lockdown game of golf today,came off the course, greeted by a beautiful cat, totally understood my yearning, definitely wants cats back in his life. My problem? There are so many rescue centres,as well as the SSPCA in the Central Belt,not to mention other parts of Scotland, I am totally confused. Armand,Gandhi, Christopher were sort of thrust on us by charities,dearly loved (adored) nonetheless. Cody chose us, we hit it off immediately,but again the charity had called us to view another cat and we only met Cody on the way out. The rescue woman was not pleased. She wanted us to take a poorly young cat straight away,but our very boisterous grandchildren were staying, hooligans, so we couldn't,although we did offer to pay medical bills plus board and lodging if she held on to him for 2 weeks,She refused. Then Cody came out of hiding and clung to my husband.We paid a substantial donation before we were allowed to take her. Being 'given' rescue cats, had happened in previous years too. We loved them all but now we would like to choose our own 2 cats all by ourselves,without emotional pressure but I've given myself a headache. Totally disheartened, really don't where to start.

Issi
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Bewitched, bothered and ...

Post by booktigger »

I'm glad hubby had a sign that made him realise that he wanted cats in his life again, I do appreciate the headache though, I had that with Lucy as I wasn't used to picking cats, and I did go to two rescues with two different friends, both had different ideas of what I should go for, and that made it harder. Is there anything on the CatChat hard to home page that are close to you?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Congratulations! I would start by making a list of what your ideal would be for your new companions (Kittens? Young adults? Bonded pair? Older?, Indoor only? In and outdoor? Good with children? etc, etc) - you will probably end up throwing most of your criteria out of the window but it helps to start organising your feelings. And then I would filter the rescues - do they health test their cats? Home foster for full evaluation? How reliable are they as a source of information? Somewhere there are two very lucky cats awaiting you - you cannot rescue them all, and it makes sense to choose the two that will fit most happily into your lives now and far into the future.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

In the current Covid uncertainty surely this has got to be worth a try - make a list as fjm suggests of your requirements and hopes, then look at rescue centres near you and see what you like and dislike about them, pick one, see if they can accommodate your list and let them choose one for you. Could that work for you?

Or ask friends if they know anyone rehoming a cat?
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

booktigger wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:16 pm I'm glad hubby had a sign that made him realise that he wanted cats in his life again, I do appreciate the headache though, I had that with Lucy as I wasn't used to picking cats, and I did go to two rescues with two different friends, both had different ideas of what I should go for, and that made it harder. Is there anything on the CatChat hard to home page that are close to you?
Hi booktigger. Here's the strangest thing. I have checked out hard to home,older cats,black cats on a number of occasions even before lockdown,comes up none in Central Belt/Glasgow area. I did 'pounce' on a description of a black cat today, exclaimed 'yes,he's for me'. Unfortunately it was a shelter in the Highlands,over 250 miles away. Deep in my heart,I know within reason, what I'm looking for. I'll give myself the Summer to search, a lot of catching up to do after lockdown, we just don't want to be 'pushed' into a decision.
Issi
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

fjm wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:33 pm Congratulations! I would start by making a list of what your ideal would be for your new companions (Kittens? Young adults? Bonded pair? Older?, Indoor only? In and outdoor? Good with children? etc, etc) - you will probably end up throwing most of your criteria out of the window but it helps to start organising your feelings. And then I would filter the rescues - do they health test their cats? Home foster for full evaluation? How reliable are they as a source of information? Somewhere there are two very lucky cats awaiting you - you cannot rescue them all, and it makes sense to choose the two that will fit most happily into your lives now and far into the future.
Yup ... Done the lists, checked out the credentials, searched the sites ... resorted to paracetamol and wine. I love that you get we just want to choose for ourselves. quietly, relaxed, with open hearts.
Issi
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Mollycat wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:45 pm In the current Covid uncertainty surely this has got to be worth a try - make a list as fjm suggests of your requirements and hopes, then look at rescue centres near you and see what you like and dislike about them, pick one, see if they can accommodate your list and let them choose one for you. Could that work for you?

Or ask friends if they know anyone rehoming a cat?
Mollycat, think I've covered this in my response to fjm. Hard to pick a centre, I don't ever remember there being so many of them. It's all swirling about in my head like broken biscuits in a tumble dryer!
Issi
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Have you gone as far as an initial inquiry phone call to each of them? Surely one or two will stand out because of some detail about the way they answer the phone and listen to your story and deal with your questions. I mean, I've heard a lot of good about one shelter near me but as long as the one I got Molly from is still around I will always go to them first because they were so kind, understanding and patient, and didn't judge me for the long list of requirements I had! Molly never went into their care (thankfully) but their care is someone's home, not a cage.

Also, it's a personal thing but I don't support the national large scale charities, the big names, in any walk of life, because I have little money to give and I don't want that swallowed up in obscene salaries to the management. The rescue local to Ruth that she supports did an incredibly beautiful thing for a genuine loving owner ready to put their cat's welfare above their ownership, so my charity money for that month went to them, while my local RSPCA told me the cat I had found that needed to be returned to its owner ASAP for its thyroid meds would be kept for a week then euthanised if unclaimed and no I would no be able to take her because once signed over I would lose all rights! So of course I refused to hand her over and spent 3 days full time on it and finally got this girl home ... she had been taken from outside her home by a well intentioned idiot because she "looked thin" and they "didn't deserve" to have her. They do some good for sure but I will never support them to do that to more animals.

That's what I mean by choosing a shelter, looking deeper into who they really and what they really do, not what they say they stand for but how congruent they are.
Amerififer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Amerififer »

Hiya,
I'm in the Fife region of Scotland.. I'd suggest calling rescues in your and surrounding area.. Due to covid a lot of the them aren't putting all their cats on their websites..
They may have different procedures re visiting etc..

My rescue boy that adopted me 6 years ago this summer chose me from Fife Cat Shelter who are listed in the Fife section of cat chat rescue..

Worth a try to look at the lists in Central/Fife area and call them. :)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

What about the cats seeking homes on CatChat, Issi? Anyone any good? What about the FIV section?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

nothing to add, but just wanted to say how delighted I am that there are two cats out there who don't know how lucky they are going to be
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

All I can say is congratulations, two cats are going to win the rehoming jackpot sometime this year, and take your time.

As the others have said, do what you can to check out the rescues around you and try and pick the ones you like the look of most, then sit back with a nice glass of wine and try and relax. Then check over your list of cat preferences and just see what they have available. Keep checking every day or so to see what new ones come in, you might suddenly see a pair that are perfect for you, or ones that you feel you are perfect for. Or let them know what you are looking for and see if they have any suggestions or if they will let you know if they get something that might suit.

After Blue died I decided to get a pair of youngsters as i didn't thing Tiggy would be with me long (she is determined to prove me wrong on that score), most of the rescues didn't have many listed but one had a couple of sisters that had recently come back to them, they didn't strike any note, but they were a nice pair of white and black girls who needed a home, so i arranged for a home check to be done and to go and see them afterwards (the ARC does the homechecks first, and if you pass you can walk out with your cat(s) after paying the adoption fee). Between calling them to arrange things and visiting another white and black cat was listed, to be adopted along with a tuxedo cat she had become friends with. Freyja's story tore at my heart, I knew a cat as scared as she was wasn't going to be easy to home, and i thought i had the experience to try. The original two girls were nice cats, but didn't hit any special chord with me, Saturn was demanding and friendly, Freyja I barely saw as she dashed from one hidey hole to another, but I knew she was meant to be mine. I did feel guity about leaving the other two I had been booked in to see, and I was glad to hear they had been adopted a few months later, but I never regretted choosing Freyja and Saturn.

The number of times i have heard about fate playing her hand when it comes to getting a cat, Blue in a way was another one, we desperately needed a cat, our resident cat was suffering after her Mum died and need company, my Mother worked at a charity that had just had a Ragdoll handed over and they were wondering how to home him without someone just wanting to get a cheap pedigree, it was also the start of January and most rescues were still shut, it was the perfect pairing.

So be patient, but attentive, somewhere out there is the perfect pair just waiting for there turn.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Kay wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:04 am nothing to add, but just wanted to say how delighted I am that there are two cats out there who don't know how lucky they are going to be
Aw thank you Kay darling,you are kind. I think me and hubby will be the lucky ones.
Issi
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Dear fe!low Cat lovers and all round decent human beings. I'm overwhelmed by your responses, all of them wise, supportive and making total sense. I agree with your assessment of Rescue Centres Mollycat,, here in Scotland, the SSPCA is entirely separate from the RSPCA but I gave up monthly donations after learning of the Chief Execs extortionate salary. Sadly, the 'human' charity I work with also pays very high salaries to a select number of staff, but where to stop? I like Ruth's idea of mulling it a!l over with wine in hand. It's.a beautiful Spring day, the air is soft and filled with birdsong,so.I'm going to sit in my small garden and sip and think ... sup and sip ... :)

Issi
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

The garden is the best possible place for inspiration and contemplation, I don't know about wine, but as it happens it's also a good place for a cat in need of a home to walk up and introduce itself. Stay open!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I have to say that the moment word got out that I might just possibly be looking for a cat I immediately got offers from people desperately looking to rehome for one reason or another. I learned to keep quiet, as it could be so hard to say No if I felt the cat and I were not a good fit - after taking on a hand-reared bundle of neuroses whose ideal life would have been with a retired, sedentary couple with lots of grandchildren not long before I got a demanding job that involved long hours and frequent travel I realised just how important that can be! But if you are prepared to be choosey and a little hard hearted if necessary it might be worth letting the grapevine know. There are so many cats in need that never find a place in rescue.