We said never again but now!

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
andy5898
Frequent Cat Chatter

We said never again but now!

Post by andy5898 »

Yesterday we lost our 13 year old Milo. It has been a huge kick in the stomach for my wife, 2 kids and me. We have 2 other cats as well who are equally feeling the loss.
We knew Milo probably didn't have many years left as he had lost lots of weight and we would have to sit with him as he wasn't fussed on eating. Yesterday I decided we had to go to the vets as Milo was still happy but hadn't touched any food. The vet took him in and he discovered tumors on his kidneys and liver. The vet said he only had a few days left so we decided it was best to let Milo go to rainbow bridge a day early than a day late. We have comfort he spent his last day in the sun outside watching the world go by.

Milo was a big cat around 6kg at his prime. We said we wouldn't have any more cats but the house with just our Pebbles and Jess seems very empty and Jess is desperate for a play mate. Pebbles is far to posh to play (something to do with daddy treating Pebbles like a princess apparently). We just wondered what breeds of cats are big? We want a male cat and for once we are being slightly picky it has to be a big cat who likes to play. Just wondered if anyone could recommend rescues etc where we could possibly find such a magnificent beast. Which our Milo could look down on and pass his worldly knowledge of sunbathing on too and allow Jess the play mate she is missing.

Sorry for the long post.

Ta
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: We said never again but now!

Post by Mollycat »

So sorry for your loss, 13 isn't old these days and even if it was sudden and sooner than you'd have expected, it sounds like he had a wonderful life with as good an ending as anyone could hope for.

If you have a look at the main rescue site there is a list of rescues there, all depends on your area. I can whole heartedly recommend one local to me but where you are will be the key here. If you are lucky enough to be in the south-west and wales area I can tell you that my local rescue keep cats in their care in foster homes and that they were so understanding and helpful and gave us a perfect match, Molly, for my resident lonely boy. they don't seem to have a long list of must and must not, they listen to your needs and try to match you up with the right cat for where you live and all the family.
andy5898
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andy5898 »

Funnily enough we are in the south west/wales. We have got most of our cats from Bristol and Wales cat rescue. Milo and Jess came from the team in Aberdare and my little Princess Pebbles came from Bristol.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Oh brilliant that is where Molly came from. How spooky! Do they not have anyone suitable for you at the moment? I hear a lot of good about Holly Hedge too, I don't know what their position is at the moment.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I'm so sorry you lost Milo so suddenly, but, as you say, when you know the end is so close, better to let them go a bit early then keep them hanging on and wondering if they are in pain or suffering.
Sometimes no matter what you may have thought before hand, you know you need another cat. I'm a bit further north than you in Wolverhampton so, while the rescues i support do rehome through out the UK, if you can find one close to home that is probably better.
If you really want a big cat then possibly some of the pedigree rescue sites might have something to suit, Mainecoons and Norwegian Forest cats are known for their size, as are Ragdolls, and while Ragdolls can be a bit more laid back, they are still a cat and can enjoying playing when they want to.
andy5898
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andy5898 »

Ruth B wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:11 am I'm so sorry you lost Milo so suddenly, but, as you say, when you know the end is so close, better to let them go a bit early then keep them hanging on and wondering if they are in pain or suffering.
Sometimes no matter what you may have thought before hand, you know you need another cat. I'm a bit further north than you in Wolverhampton so, while the rescues i support do rehome through out the UK, if you can find one close to home that is probably better.
If you really want a big cat then possibly some of the pedigree rescue sites might have something to suit, Mainecoons and Norwegian Forest cats are known for their size, as are Ragdolls, and while Ragdolls can be a bit more laid back, they are still a cat and can enjoying playing when they want to.
We have looked at the rescues closer to home but having trouble finding one. We will travel anywhere in England for the right cat to fit in with us. So if you know of any laid back big male cats please do let us know! Our Milo was so laid back he spent most of his life horizontal but its almost like he is the gel which held our 3 cats together. Jess misses her surrogate dad and our Pebbles misses Milo while she may not be close she had a respect for Milo as she knew he would protect her.
As I say if you know of any big male cats please shout. :)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Just thinking, my Boo was a retired Raggie stud. 8 years old and neutered, fully health checked and vaccinated. What I was asked to pay by his owner was basically the cost of his neuter and full healthcheck. It's a different kind of rescue, but still a rescue. They are on the large side, 5kg+ and I've only had two late neutered boys but both actively needed cat company. That's why I ended up with Molly, it was Boo who needed her.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Blue was also a rehomed Ragdoll and was a big, very laid back cat (normally so laid back all four paws were waving in the air), but needed company.

I'm not sure what Sally who runs the ARC has in at the moment, but she always has a number of adult cats wanting homes, so she might have something that would suit. Her Facebook page is
https://www.facebook.com/The-ARC-the-as ... e_internal
She is listed on the Cat Chat site list of rescues but it obviously hasn't been updated recently, the best option is to contact her and ask, she is extremely busy as she virtually runs the rescue single handed, so can take some time to reply to messages. The main problem might be getting the home check done, i know she uses other sites who offer homechecking through out the UK so hopefully something could be sorted out if she has a cat you like the look of.
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Just to add to the suggestions above, the following pages on the main Cat Chat site might be useful, if you haven’t already seen them:

See Cats Needing Homes near you here: https://www.catchat.org/adopt

Find your local rescue & rehoming organisations here: https://www.catchat.org/shelters

There’s also a list of pedigree-specific rescue centres here: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/pedig ... scue-adopt

Hope that helps.