adopted farm kitten - reassurance needed!

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Sid-cat
New Cat Chatter

adopted farm kitten - reassurance needed!

Post by Sid-cat »

I'm hoping someone can offer some reassurance/ advice about our adopted farm kitten, Sid?
We've had him for 2 weeks now and had been assured that he had been given regular human contact however since bringing him home discovered that his mum went away when he was around 7 weeks and he and siblings were free roaming on the farm from that point so had no more contact for 2 weeks until we got him. Consequently he was much more feral that we would have wanted ( and wouldn't have brought him into our small home as a pet if we had known). He's been extremely stressed and fearful and we've all been at our wits end. However we took advice given to leave him be under the sofa where he bolted after 1st vet visit. He was very underweight but has been eating with gusto and he also figured out really fast about the litter tray. He's coming out gradually, he loves to play really boisterously and isn't fearful when he does. He has taken food from our hands and sometimes now will sit on a chair next to me or my husband for a bit. He lives in our kitchen which is also where I work every day so we're around a lot but a quiet-ish household. But he still bolts under the sofa if we move/walk and hisses if we reach out slightly so I haven't touched him really for about 10 days. Do people think we're on the right track or might we be sort of torturing him trying to fit him into our family life ( 2 parents 2 teens in the city) -its been suggested to me that he might be happier back on the farm and we just want to the right thing! Should we try to make more contact or keep as we are? Any advice gratefully received!.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: adopted farm kitten - reassurance needed!

Post by Kay »

definitely carry on as you are - basically ignoring him until he is ready to interact

he'll be missing his siblings, and the rough and tumble they would have provided, and you need to bear in mind kittens in general, regardless of their background, want to play much more than they want to be petted, so for the time being you will have to give him what he wants and not expect much in return

he will grow out of this phase soon enough, and you will then have the advantage of having a cat brought up in your household without any baggage from a previous home - the eating well, using his tray, and chosing to sit near you are all signs he will quite soon be everything you want from cat ownership
Sid-cat
New Cat Chatter

Post by Sid-cat »

Thank you! That's so good to hear. We were worried that if we don't instigate some sort of contact he'll never tolerate us touching him. But for now he's getting more and more playful and adventurous everyday and I think this weekend we'll let him explore the house a bit more.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

You're doing great.

I adopted Molly at 6 years old after she had a traumatic kittenhood followed by 5 years of happiness cut short by a relationship breakup, and the trauma from the early days still shows even now at 14 years old we are still making progress. The trauma wasn't deliberate, it was just a noisy chaotic home with unwanted handling, lack of respect for her need to be left alone, and a mother who may not have been protective enough of her. When she first came, she didn't seem to like being touched for several months, she continued to bolt the moment anyone moved for many years and still goes into the bedroom when the doorbell goes, and it's only last month I was able to pick her up properly for the first time, after 8 years.

So for a farm kitten, honestly, don't worry if it takes a few weeks, he will be just fine. The most important thing shy cats need to know is that they will be left alone when they want to be, and you already have that sorted. he will come to you even if it starts as "just for warmth" and discovers the joy of petting and purring later.
Sid-cat
New Cat Chatter

Post by Sid-cat »

Thank you and we had a real change at the weekend when he suddenly appeared and sat on my husband's arm.. now will will let us stroke and scratch him when he's sleepy (only then, still hisses at other times) but we feel so much more encouraged, he's funny little soul.. Thanks for reassurance!