Advice on rehoming stray cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Rachel
New Cat Chatter

Advice on rehoming stray cat

Post by Rachel »

Hello. I don’t know if I’m over thinking this so would like some advice/thoughts please. I have recently taken in a stray cat (more a kitten being barely a year old). I tried lots of people I know but no one would take them permanently and I can’t as my own cat is 17 and does not like other animals. Given his health issues I don’t think it fair to force this on him. Which is a shame, as this cat is lovely, very friendly, loves being stroked and could be a real lap cat once they are less nervous. I have tried all the options to find the real owners whilst I was feeding them as a stray but the cat was so skinny that when I finally managed to approach it, I took it in.

My dilemma - some friends of my parents have offered to adopt the cat but my concerns are that they are over 65 and of course cats live 18 to 20 years. They also already have a cat, who they have said isn't friendly to other cats, although they have said they are willing to spend the time doing an introduction process. However they then said they have a crate to keep the cat in whilst they do this introduction and having done some research I don’t think this is a great way to do that as it gives this cat nowhere to run and hide? I’ve taken this cat to the vet and there is a real risk it is pregnant and so they could also potentially be adopting a pregnant cat, which they will have had no experience of.

My local shelter has said they will take the cat, but of course getting it straight into a new home is obviously the better option. Am I over thinking this, would these people be a good home for my stray cat? Or would the cat be better in the shelter - I would think it should get adopted quickly? Any advice or thoughts gratefully received!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice on rehoming stray cat

Post by fjm »

If there is a chance that she is pregnant I would take up the shelter on their offer. They will ensure that she has the best care, with someone used to managing pregnancy and birthing, and that she is spayed and found a suitable home. While I don’t think 65 is too old to take on a young cat if plans are in place for her future, I do think introducing a young, pregnant cat into a household with an existing elderly cat and not very experienced humans would be a bad idea. The shelter may even opt to spay her immediately if it is safe, which may be best for her if she is very young, and there is a local oversupply of kittens.
Laujo
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Laujo »

I started trying to adopt in January and finally my little Ivy moved in with me in April. In that 3 months I was contacting shelters on a daily basis and cats were being rehomed so quickly, so I really wouldn't worry about the little one having to wait too long for a home. Plus shelters are brilliant at making sure the cats are placed in suitable homes where their little quirks will be loved.
Rachel
New Cat Chatter

Post by Rachel »

Thanks for your responses. The couple talked to their own vet who told them the best answer was the shelter and so that’s what will happen, although the shelter themselves have said that they are currently slower to rehome cats as it’s the summer holidays. However the good news is that the couple have decided to adopt through a shelter, so another kitty will get to go to a permanent home, that is right for them and the couple.