I feel guilty & need advice

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
alvinmoorey4
New Cat Chatter

I feel guilty & need advice

Post by alvinmoorey4 »

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking for some advice, anything is really appreciated so thank you in advance.

Here's a background story! I've had my amazing tabby cat Alvin for 4 years in November. When I first got him we both relocated to South Wales to be with my partner for his new career, I spent everyday for 3 months with him and we gained the most amazing bond. I finally started work and we still maintained this! Moving along 3 and 1/2 years, we have now relocated to London near Heathrow Airport as we want to live around this area.

I moved first so Alvin was with "his Dad" for 6 months and only saw me 3/4 times, my partner moved here last weekend with Alvin and currently we live in a temporary accommodation flat due to an unfortunate house fire. *Everybody is safe and Alvin wasn't here*. I feel bad enough as he's gone from living with the freedom of going outside to now being in a flat HOWEVER this isn't my only concern. When we move out of this flat (I anticipate it to be in 2-3 weeks). We're moving in with my mum whilst we save for a house, we hope to buy this time next year. This means moving in with a 3 year old Labrador... she is a hyperactive soul, she wouldn't hurt a fly but I know Alvin doesn't like it.

We had the dog up for Christmas one year in Wales and for the 3 days Alvin stayed upstairs and Rose stayed downstairs.

I don't know if it's putting too much stress on Alvin? I feel so guilty and I can't help but think he needs to be somewhere without the stress of the dog especially but where he can roam. Ideally I'd want him back in 12 months time when we should be buying our home but I don't have any family members I can do this with. What do you guys think or what would you do in this situation?

The only option we have is my partners mum who lives in South Wales, she has a rescue female cat. She said she is more than happy to have Alvin but I also worry that 1 - he isn't going to see us much, will he "forget" us and not want to come back? and 2 - will he get on with the rescue female cat?

Personality wise, Alvin is such an outgoing cat. I couldn't praise him enough, he will go up to almost anybody and get a fuss, he doesn't attack/bite/claw. He's moved with us in total 4 times (not including this move) he's adapted so well to them. I don't know why I feel so different this time?

Thank you again in advance
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: I feel guilty & need advice

Post by Kay »

personally I wouldn't hesitate to home him back in South Wales until you are settled, and let your partner's mum deal with any problems settling him in with her cat

cats don't bond with individual people as much as dogs do - their home and its surroundings are more important to them than the people in it - which should mean he will be happier in South Wales for the time being, but happy too to be back with you when the time comes, if you can provide what he needs

you of course will miss him, but not having to worry about him will surely be a consolation