Please help struggling to introduce new kitten to our cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Jane+Garfield
New Cat Chatter

Please help struggling to introduce new kitten to our cat

Post by Jane+Garfield »

Hi everyone, I have just joined and have been looking through your amazing advice but haven’t been able to find help with my problem, we have a new kitten (a rescue 4mths old and amazing) however our 5yr old cat Garfield isn’t impressed.

Just a quick history we rescued Garfield 3 yrs ago due to some complications with his adoption he had to stay in the rescue centre for 8 weeks I visited him every other day in my lunch break hoping he would get used to my smell and sound which may help him settle in our pet free home it worked and he is the most amazing cat literally I adore him he’s my world. He’s a people person and visits most of our neighbors, recently we found out he had befriended a neighbors female cat who they sadly lost in April and he hasn’t seemed the same. We had wanted another cat but Garfield is our priority as he is here already so we carefully found a lovely natured female kitten Millie who had settled beautifully however Garfield whilst they sniff each other and he is gentle with her after very slow and careful introductions he just seems really unhappy.

I am extremely sensitive and it’s breaking my heart he’s gaining weight but eating less I know he visits our neighbors which I love that he shares his love but I think he’s started to eat elsewhere he comes in and then wants to go straight back out he used to cuddle with me but he just cries to go out now, he does finally settle and sleeps on my legs like he used to but I know he’s different. He has also stopped bringing us presents and started to bring them to a neighbor i work full time and he goes out in the day with cat flap to garage with food and bed in but we are surrounded by fields so he has a lovely area to roam and has always been very happy but I look at his face and I know he’s not right.

I guess my question is should I be more patient our kitten has been with us nearly 2 weeks will Garfield come round, I promised him and myself if he couldn’t settle with her I would find her a new happy home through the rescue centre we adopted her from but I feel hopeful by the fact they have got on ok so far, he seems not interested in her but they don’t fight etc. I am terrified he leaves home I adore him and cannot imagine him not been in my life, it’s simply not an option, we got Millie because we desperately wanted to give another cat a happy life like we did for Garfield and we thought he would enjoy a companion after losing his friend down the road, I am getting myself so upset as I don’t know what to do, I feel guilty to Garfield, and I feel guilty to Millie who is so fun and happy and just want to play and have her head rubbed she’s been so brave coming to a new house and intergrated with us so well taking it all in her stride.

Please can you offer me some advise or guidance Garfield is my first cat my partner has had cats his whole life but they always had several so a new cat to there home was different Garfield has lived alone with us for 3 yrs.

Sorry for such a long post I hope you can help Thankyou xx