Letting cat out for 1st time

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Letting cat out for 1st time

Post by glendvd »

Following on from my topic last month of taking in my in-laws' cat and not wanting to let it out, we have now taken the cat permanently, and, following the week we had her last month, we have now (1 month later) had her for 3 days.

Just wanted a bit of advice on letting her out, as this is the final decision we've reached, that we will let her out, but hopefully just during the day (we don't and can't have a cat flap, rented property) while we're at work, so she doesn't come across all the dangers of the night.

We live in a quiet street, quite a long way from a main road so no worries there, and our back garden is enclosed, but she can easily scale the fences enclosing it and get god knows where through people's back gardens. So when we do let her out, she IS definitely going to wander, how far? Who knows.

She has come from her home which is literally down the bottom of our street (a very long street however), across the main road, up another street (her old street, again, another longish one) and that's her old home. I am slightly concerned that when she does go out, she'll just go straight to her old home.

My main question is however, how long do we keep her in now she's ours permanently, before letting her out? Can we let her out now after her only being with us for 10 days in total over 2 periods? Is there any specific way of introducing her to the new area she lives in? How on Earth will she ever find her way back if she goes wandering in uncharted territory which our new house obviously is to her?

Sorry for the long message, just wanted to paint as big a picture as possible to get the best advice.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Letting cat out for 1st time

Post by Jacks »

The guideline is generally 3-4 weeks inside. This varies of course - some cats seem to be well oriented straight away, others take time. I would err on the side of caution to be honest, particularly as the old home is not that far away and she might be tempted to retrace smells back to her old home. When you are ready to let her out, do it when she is hungry and maybe sprinkle some of her soiled litter in the garden, where she can smell her scent if she's roaming.

I have three girls, one of which was ex-feral and very nervous, and she ended up being indoors 10 months before she went out - this seems excessive but in her case was warranted and once she did go out she NEVER wanders but loves her close environment, and at any sign of trouble - straight back indoors.

As to how far they will roam - males tend to have a larger 'circle', un-neutered larger than neutered - but it depends on the cat. My ex-feral neutered boy now stays in the close vicinity most of the time; two of my girls only go about 1 house on either side, in terms of gardens, but the third goes a long way in her daily adventures and worries me by being very late home at times. You will have to wait and see!

A VERY good idea to have her out only in the day, and I'm with you on having outside access when I'm home, but not whilst I'm at work. This is a routine they seem to accept quite happily - I think as long as she is getting interest and outside fun in her life it doesn't have to be every minute of every day...

In short I think 3 days is not enough - keep her indoors for a couple of weeks at least. She needs to be firmly established in her new territory. Cats are not easy to confine in open spaces, as we all know, some of us to our cost...
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

Jacks wrote:The guideline is generally 3-4 weeks inside. This varies of course - some cats seem to be well oriented straight away, others take time. I would err on the side of caution to be honest, particularly as the old home is not that far away and she might be tempted to retrace smells back to her old home. When you are ready to let her out, do it when she is hungry and maybe sprinkle some of her soiled litter in the garden, where she can smell her scent if she's roaming.

I have three girls, one of which was ex-feral and very nervous, and she ended up being indoors 10 months before she went out - this seems excessive but in her case was warranted and once she did go out she NEVER wanders but loves her close environment, and at any sign of trouble - straight back indoors.

As to how far they will roam - males tend to have a larger 'circle', un-neutered larger than neutered - but it depends on the cat. My ex-feral neutered boy now stays in the close vicinity most of the time; two of my girls only go about 1 house on either side, in terms of gardens, but the third goes a long way in her daily adventures and worries me by being very late home at times. You will have to wait and see!

A VERY good idea to have her out only in the day, and I'm with you on having outside access when I'm home, but not whilst I'm at work. This is a routine they seem to accept quite happily - I think as long as she is getting interest and outside fun in her life it doesn't have to be every minute of every day...

In short I think 3 days is not enough - keep her indoors for a couple of weeks at least. She needs to be firmly established in her new territory. Cats are not easy to confine in open spaces, as we all know, some of us to our cost...
OK that's all great advice, thanks and I will definitely go down the route of 4 weeks, and will use your post as proof to my wife that this HAS to be done. "I've asked the experts don't you know" I'll say!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I absolutely agree with Jacks, 3-4 weeks is the way to go. She needs to feel established in her new home, and that it's her place of safety to run back to when she's out and about. Only time will give her that.

Good luck! :)
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Im so glad to read this advice. I,m still so undecided about letting Theo out. Im so scared he,l jump the fence and go. Also hes such a nervous boy im sure the least noise would freak him out and hed run away. We,ve got a barking dog next door and 4 quite aggressive cats that roam our street all day, My husband wants to keep him an indoor cat but I keep looking at my garden (complete with tree) and thinking he,d love it. We even purchased a cat harness and lead to take him out in the garden with us but when we put it on him he just flops on his stomach and wont move. Ive also heared to put butter on their paws just before you let them out and they,l come back, don't know how true that is. If me and my husband sit in the garden he sits in the window looking at us all pathetic and I feel so guilty but when I open the door to see what he does he runs upstairs. :roll: I wish he could talk and tell me what he,d like to do.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

why not put the harness and lead on him and bring him outside while you sit down - that way he can move around a bit and get used to the harness, but not run off

trying to walk him on it can follow later when he's used to it

if you can sit very near the open back door he will also have the option of running back inside if he wants to
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Hi Nanny Pammy,

I think he's telling you that he's not ready to go outside - as you've said, Theo is an anxious cat, and little things scare him. The outside environment is full of stimulation that is unpredictable and unknown, and that's frightening to him. Don't think that if he's looking out of a window it makes him feel sad - that's a human thought, not a cat's. There is a lot to interest a cat through a window - particularly if you can put a bird feeder or two in view! I'm not saying don't ever let him outside, but make sure 1) He's secure before he goes out (so he'll run home if scared) and 2) he leads the pace. There are a number of cat mums on this forum who have had very anxious cats who have taken a long time to get confidence to go outside - whereas some just take to it like a duck to water.

I'm waiting at the moment for my youngest to come home, who has pulled an 'all-nighter' again. She is a born hunter and the outdoors is her preferred world. I have to live with that, as I can't change her. If your boy doesn't want the uncertainty and over-stimulation of the outside world, don't force it on him, but every now and then, when he's ready, give him the chance to come and sit with you on the patio for example. I don't know your circumstances but sitting outside the back door reading or something in the sunshine might give him the confidence to come and join you. Certainly don't drag him out - he's telling you he's not ready.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

Crewella wrote:I absolutely agree with Jacks, 3-4 weeks is the way to go. She needs to feel established in her new home, and that it's her place of safety to run back to when she's out and about. Only time will give her that.

Good luck! :)
I was saying this last night when my wife wanted to let her out. Just be patient, and do it right, because we might only get 1 shot at it. Just be patient this 1st time of letting her out, and if that takes 4 weeks, then leave it 4 weeks. It'll be worth it for the rest of her life just doing this right, and correct, and being patient for a few weeks.

Besides, she's not crying to be out or scratching the door down or anything, like the other cat on here, no point in forcing it out if it's not ready.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Absolutely - and we're all familiar with the old adage 'letting the cat out of the bag'. The meaning comes from the fact that once you DO let a cat out of a bag, a carrier, a door or anything else, you've got very little chance of getting it back in unless it wants to... and don't I know it. I lost a cat from a carrier that broke outside the vets in the street - he ran in panic at the traffic and noise. I've seen him once since, but behind the gate of a gated alley where I couldn't get to him. Now three weeks later sightings have dried up and I've no idea where he is.

Don't let the cat out of the bag until he or she is ready - and that means confident and ready to come home at the least sign of trouble. And never FORCE a cat to go outdoors - you have no idea how overwhelming it is; just think of a cat's sense of smell, which is phenomenal compared to ours - the smells outdoors are mind-blowing. Hearing - your cat can hear the tiniest creatures moving. Sight - though limited in colour vision (no red part of the spectrum) your cat can detect and track movements too fast for us to process, as their brains process movement much faster than ours. For an extravert, confident cat it's the Amusement Park to beat all Parks - to a timid cat it's too much to take in to start with.

If you're really worried I would also try some 'treats' training - find the most favoured 'Dreamies' or equivalent and reward each time you call their name and they come to you. Start with the name + treat, and then start trying distance. It's a simple form of conditioning but I have to warn it doesn't work for all cats as it depends on the value they put on food - the trouble with my mischief is that she values free roaming more than food. I have another who will come bounding for the chance of a few tuna Dreamies...

So as you so perfectly put it - get it right and you will have a happy, secure cat who will not only enjoy the outdoors but come back when you call...
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

Jacks wrote:Absolutely - and we're all familiar with the old adage 'letting the cat out of the bag'. The meaning comes from the fact that once you DO let a cat out of a bag, a carrier, a door or anything else, you've got very little chance of getting it back in unless it wants to... and don't I know it. I lost a cat from a carrier that broke outside the vets in the street - he ran in panic at the traffic and noise. I've seen him once since, but behind the gate of a gated alley where I couldn't get to him. Now three weeks later sightings have dried up and I've no idea where he is.

Don't let the cat out of the bag until he or she is ready - and that means confident and ready to come home at the least sign of trouble. And never FORCE a cat to go outdoors - you have no idea how overwhelming it is; just think of a cat's sense of smell, which is phenomenal compared to ours - the smells outdoors are mind-blowing. Hearing - your cat can hear the tiniest creatures moving. Sight - though limited in colour vision (no red part of the spectrum) your cat can detect and track movements too fast for us to process, as their brains process movement much faster than ours. For an extravert, confident cat it's the Amusement Park to beat all Parks - to a timid cat it's too much to take in to start with.

If you're really worried I would also try some 'treats' training - find the most favoured 'Dreamies' or equivalent and reward each time you call their name and they come to you. Start with the name + treat, and then start trying distance. It's a simple form of conditioning but I have to warn it doesn't work for all cats as it depends on the value they put on food - the trouble with my mischief is that she values free roaming more than food. I have another who will come bounding for the chance of a few tuna Dreamies...

So as you so perfectly put it - get it right and you will have a happy, secure cat who will not only enjoy the outdoors but come back when you call...
Yeah that's a good idea, and she loves her dreamies by the looks of it. Bought her her 1st packet last night and she went mental for them, climbing up me to get at the packet and that. Was hilarious. She'll definitely come home for them i reckon. And them webbox sticks she went berserk for too, the ones in the pink packet. I've given them to our previous cats and they have daintily chewed on them, moving slowly down the stick, one bite at a time. Last night she started at one end and instead of eating it sideways she ate it so the stick was going in end 1st and she used one whole chewing movement to basically hoover up the stick in 1 go and jumped on me for the next. She does the same with bowls of food, no looking up, just eating in one movement, eats a whole pouch in about 2 minutes. I think it's cos she lived with a dog, who used to steal her food. Either eat it all in one go or you don't eat! No doubt she'll learn different in time but it's good she likes her food so we can call her back in and hopefully she'll come running. I'm also interested in the post from my previous thread about a tracking device, that would certainly be something i'd be interested in.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Great advice again. Yes Theo is definitely not ready and im quite happy for him to remain an indoor cat. Hes just too lovely to take a chance. :)
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

nanny pamy wrote:Great advice again. Yes Theo is definitely not ready and im quite happy for him to remain an indoor cat. Hes just too lovely to take a chance. :)
I just wish my wife was as patient, she's desperate to let ours out, even though she's not really showing any sign of wanting to be out. She thinks because ours spends a lot of time looking out the window, that she's pining to be out, whereas i can go outside through the back door and she makes no attempt to follow me. She just wants her to be happy I know, and she thinks she'll be making her happy by letting her out because that is what she's used to, but i know if we're patient and do this right 1st time, it'll be worth it in the long run.

I now know after having her for a couple of weeks or so in total, that she does look like she wants to be outdoors, and will be happy when we do let her out, so i'm no longer in the camp of locking her in for my own selfish reasons.

What i did find though was a tracking device on a shopping website. Admittedly it's £118.00, and a £5.00 monthly fee (it uses phone signals so it's like paying a monthly tariff), and for the 10-13 years or so we're gonna have left of having the cat, it's totally worth it. You just log on to a website and it immediately tells you where the cat is. And for my peace of mind this is really cheap. Just to know where she is if you're calling her in or can't find her. She went missing for 2 weeks with her previous owner and this device would've found her immediately.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

what device was that - do you have a link. Sounds interesting
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

That's really interesting - I have a loc8tor, but the cat has to be within 100-400ft range, and mine clearly goes outside that in a couple of minutes, the monkey...

As you say, a GPS tracker would allow you to see the approximate location at any distance, as long as the cat is not in the habit of losing their collar, which needs to be quick release for obvious reasons and no less if they have bulky objects attached to them which could get snagged...
Helen
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Helen »

when I got my rescue cat I was told 4 weeks to keep him totally inside - after 2.5 weeks he escaped through an upstairs window - it (stupidly) never occurred to me he would go through an upstairs window - 6 hours later he came back the same way ... and forever until he died that was his 'door' regardless of open doors downstairs.

With my current 3 I would always do a certain whistle as I filled their food bowls and put them down, even when they were on lock down. Now at bed time I go out and whistle and they come running from different directions - I know they are on their way as the security lights come on at dusk on the neighbours houses :)

Apart from my 1 escapee I've always gone with 4 weeks.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

meriad wrote:what device was that - do you have a link. Sounds interesting
This is it here. I looked at the loc8tor and was going to buy that till i just read the post saying it's within a very short range. Didn't notice that on their website. So think i'll stick with this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tractive-TRATR1 ... t+tracking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

Jacks wrote:That's really interesting - I have a loc8tor, but the cat has to be within 100-400ft range, and mine clearly goes outside that in a couple of minutes, the monkey...

As you say, a GPS tracker would allow you to see the approximate location at any distance, as long as the cat is not in the habit of losing their collar, which needs to be quick release for obvious reasons and no less if they have bulky objects attached to them which could get snagged...
100-400ft! I very much doubt ours would stay within that range either. I can just shout of her within 400m, I want one that's gonna find her if she gets lost, she's not gonna get lost within 400ft of the house (unless as previously stated she gets locked in somewhere). I wanted one for if she goes wandering and can't find her way home. So i think i'll go for the more pricey one.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

Just a couple of days now till the big "let-out"! All this week we've been letting her in the garden and not letting her climb the fence, then banging her food dish when it's time to come in, and she's been racing in each time. Then last night we let her onto the fence, where she climbed on the garage roof, and eventually went for a walk round next door's garden and into their bushes where we lost her. So we gave her 20 minutes before banging her food bowl again for tea and she came bounding over the fence like a madman! So it would seem the letting her out hungry and banging her food bowl method is gonna work.

Then on Saturday when we're not at work we're gonna just let her out in the morning and leave her to her own devices for a few hours with the back door open so she can come back in when she wants. It's very scary to think she'll just be left to wander the streets (or gardens) as she pleases and I'm not 100% in favour of it but it seems this is what makes her happiest so I guess it has to be done.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That all sounds good so far - good luck!
MarrowFarmer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MarrowFarmer »

Great advise on here. Thanks all.

We have had a pair of adorable little fellas from the local rescue shelter move in with us this time last week and they have settled in so quickly, they now have full run of the house and the only step we are left to take is when to let them outside. I think 4 weeks sounds purrfect. :D
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

We let her out last night at 7.30pm. Stayed up till half 3 am waiting for her then gave up. Got up at half 6 and there she was waiting to be in. Little sh*t had me up all night and just waltzed in for breakfast like nothing was up! She's fast asleep on the bed now which she never does so I think she's happy!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Poor you! I had a few nights like that when I first started letting my lot out when we moved here. They did all settle into a routine of coming in for dinner when the novelty had worn off, hopefully yours will too! At least she came home safely, and you know she knows her way home.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

Crewella wrote:Poor you! I had a few nights like that when I first started letting my lot out when we moved here. They did all settle into a routine of coming in for dinner when the novelty had worn off, hopefully yours will too! At least she came home safely, and you know she knows her way home.
Yeah that's all I was bothered about, knowing her way home for the 1st time. Now that's out the way she can go out whenever she likes and I'll not have to worry.

Unfortunately for me the later I stayed up the more wine I drank (medicinal, for the nerves) so feeling a bit rough today as she sleeps!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oooops! Not fair, she gets the night out and you get the hangover! Perhaps a little 'hair of the cat' .... :P
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

Crewella wrote:Oooops! Not fair, she gets the night out and you get the hangover! Perhaps a little 'hair of the cat' .... :P
Ha! Yeah I'm think I'm gonna. And she doesn't wanna be out tonight either thank god so no worrying.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by exlibris »

We took our last cat off a friend who had problems and could no longer look after her. We had her a while then moved house. We assumed that she'd have no interest in leaving the house as she didn't at our last place. We left the door open after only a week and she got out (unfortunately the story has a sad ending).
Be wary, just because a cat appears to be confident in a new home doesn't mean they're not still thinking of the last place. Go out into the yard/garden with them for short periods of time so they get familiar with the idea of you and the yard being a good place to be. When you go in and reward them with tuna or another treat.