Help with trapped feral cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Honey-Badger
New Cat Chatter

Help with trapped feral cat

Post by Honey-Badger »

My sister had been feeding a stray for months before she was able to trap him. He had no chip or anything so she had him neutered and everything he needed and brought him to me because I have a quiet room for him. It’s been 7 days and he eats fine but still hisses whenever I get near him. I have always had cats and I do know how to approach him in a slow non-threatening way while not staring him down.

How long does it usually take for feral cats to warm up? My sister said she was able to pet him a little in the trap but I’m trying to just wait for him to come to me before I try to touch him at all.

I do spend quiet time in there with him but if I get within 3 feet he gets very defensive. Does he just need more time?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Help with trapped feral cat

Post by booktigger »

Yes, 7 days is nothing - I wouldn't even be attempting to get close or touch him that quickly, just spend lots of time sat in there ignoring him, I do a mix of reading, watching TV and playing games on my phone with my semi ferals - I've had them 4 years and still can't touch them.