Advice for AWOL grumpy cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Funnyonion15
New Cat Chatter

Advice for AWOL grumpy cat

Post by Funnyonion15 »

Hi, Im hoping for some advice if anyone can help?

Our aged, semi feral cat Onion (she has stayed with you a couple of times) has moved back to our old neighbors and has been living under their shed for about 3 weeks now.

We have seen her every day, gone round and tried to tempt her out with food etc but with no luck. We have made her as comfortable as possible and popped a cat bed under the shed (there is a large space underneath) and the neighbor is feeding her every day.

But we are now worried that we are never going to be able to get her home. She wont come to us, she isnt food motivated, we have even tried a laser and fluffy toy!

We are assuming we only have two options - leave her be or try and trap her? If its the latter any advice would be very much welcomed.

Thanks - very worried cat parents
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Advice for AWOL grumpy cat

Post by papa cat »

As upsetting to you as it might be, you have to remember that cat’s will do what they want to do. You say she is semi feral so is familiar with being outside. Cat’s are really wild animals that choose to live with us.
If you trap her the only way you could keep her indoors would probably be against her will and she would be upset and always be trying to escape.
I think all you can do about it is ensure her needs are met, food and shelter etc, and try to enjoy her from a distance.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice for AWOL grumpy cat

Post by Kay »

is there any possibility your old neighbour would allow a cat flap in their shed? I'm sure you will be more worried if she intends to stay put under the shed when it turns really cold. I have been feeding a feral cat for years now, and have put a cat flap in my shed, and a Mr Snugs kennel inside, with a thermal lining and self-heating pad inside it, and at least I can sleep when it's freezing outside. This set up also allows me to set a food timer if I'm going to be away at meal times.