Advice please! Moving/stray cat issue

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
bagpuss74
New Cat Chatter

Advice please! Moving/stray cat issue

Post by bagpuss74 »

Hi
Im moving this coming week, I have one cat but since I installed catflap a few years ago neighbourhood cats have slowly made themselves comfortable.

I know some have homes but theres two that Im pretty sure dont - the issue is I cant take them with me, my cats not been particularly happy with other cats around and Im moving into a smaller property.

One in particular isnt in the best of health, when he first started to appear last year I caught him eating my leftovers, seems he wasnt too used to cat food. Hes really small, have no idea how old but he looks like a kitten though he's not grown since last year - Ive wondered if he's not been fed well and is under developed.

But his main issue is his skin, he's the type who should have fluffy fur but its thin, patchy and his skin seems to have sores all over - ive got rid of his bad fleas, am trying leucillin for his skin but I think he needs proper care..

Long story short, I contacted shelter and I would have to sign some waiver that Ive exhausted all options to find owner, but it shouldnt matter as the owner has obviousley failed.. and hes been sleeping in here for months, in particular past few weeks he sleeps 95% of the time.

Other option is calling RSPCA - but Im worried they could be put to sleep?? Anyone know about RSPCA care?

Any advice? Im in Northumberland

Thanks
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice please! Moving/stray cat issue

Post by Kay »

I have been looking after an outdoor cat for some years now - he's not a stray but what round here would be called a farm cat - inbred, unneutered and in poor general health - he has a kennel inside my shed, and uses a cat flap to get in and out. If I had to move, I would first put out an appeal on my local website for someone willing to take over his care, but if that failed I would trap him and take him with me, and provide him with a similar set up to what he has here.

If there are no similar options open to you, I would have to say, with great reluctance, whether having him pts would not be the kinder option, as he is going to be totally lost without you, and with winter upon us he is likely to suffer very much
bagpuss74
New Cat Chatter

Re: Advice please! Moving/stray cat issue

Post by bagpuss74 »

Hi Kay

Thanks for your reply; he's not attached at all tbh - I can rub his chin but he doesnt like to be stroked, probably due to his skin condition, hes quite skittish and guess he probably just prefers it here as I dont think he's looked after well - he had a collar on last year.

If I could take him I would but I just cant, Ive had my cat for 12yrs and he's not been happy with the other cats coming in so Ive drawn the line this time!

I think Im leaning toward calling RSPCA atleast see what they say - will try the shelters again too.

Thanks for the input!