Fear aggressive foster cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
tlovesallanimals
New Cat Chatter

Fear aggressive foster cat

Post by tlovesallanimals »

Hi everyone,

First would like to say I'm new to the foster world, so thought I would give it a go as the Cat Haven is desperate and there's big overcrowding issues. I've always had cats and used to tame feral cats when I lived in the middle east many years ago.

So, my first foster cat Charlie Cat is 2 and was identified as timid, shy and was not doing well at the haven. I've taken him in and out him in the spare bedroom. I have a dog and a cat of my own, so Charlie cat has not had free reign over the house.

I've had him for 4 weeks and it's been a really tough run. Within the first week, I had to take him back to the cat haven to get his yearly vaccinations. I begged the foster coordinator to make it later, but due to comprised immunity she said no and that it had to be at this time. I had to trap him, not fun and coax him into his carrier.

While at the vet, the vet wrapped him in a towel and forced him to be petted. He also has a slight eye infection that requires him to get eye ointment.

I released him back in the spare bedroom and continued to sit in the room for 1-2 hours per day, talking gently, feliway diffuser is going, I'm using hemp chewables, using cat calming music as well as catnip spray.

I contacted the cat haven and said I've been unable to give the eye ointment to Charlie Cat, as he was so traumatised from me trapping him to go to his vet appointment. Foster coordinator said he really needs his eye drops and I just need to drape a towel over him and put the ointment in.

Well, I had to trap and wrap Charlie Cat to put the eye ointment in the first day. Second day, Charlie cat lunged, hissed, spat at me when I came to close to him. He then climbed to the top of the cupboard, continued to scratch, growl, bite. I ended up giving up after a minute or two of this, as he was beyond stressed.

Any relationship that I had built up in non existent now and I really don't know what to do.

Btw, I've explained all this to the foster coordinator, and I'm very close to giving the cat back and not taking another or doing this again because obviously I'm really not the right fit for this role!

Please help!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Fear aggressive foster cat

Post by Mollycat »

You have my complete sympathy and I just know some people here with many years experience of fostering hundreds of cats will have some solid thoughts on this situation.

I'm frankly horrified but not surprised enough at the shelter's attitude. I have an extreme shy timid rescue myself, who will turn if really pushed - I have a scar just under my eye and my husband has been bitten twice in the last fortnight, blood and all. In fairness she has been with me 8 years now and only done that damage, but still, it's because I haven't forced and have worked very hard to gain her trust. After 8 years I still need a Reiki session just to get her into a carrier, it doesn't sound like these people are the sort to have, encourage or pay for this kind of thing, although some shelters do.

Do your cat and dog have the freedom to come right to the outside of the door where Charlie is? If they do, I would stop that if you can, and have two doors between. Most likely not possible, but brilliant if you can, so that Charlie can't smell and hear other animals right where the scary human comes in and out with food.

Be sure that your own stress levels are down as low as possible, you must be completely calm, confident and positive in Charlie's presence. I know it sounds crazy but I'd be tempted to adopt Charlie and deal with him as you feel it's right, because you seem to have the understanding and all the right instincts to help a cat like Charlie to be the best he can ever be. The shelter clearly have their own aims and either don't care or expect you to toughen up, and that isn't always the right approach for shy cats. Actually I think it never is, but I'm being tactful.

Another strange question, do your cat and dog have the right temperament to support you supporting a troubled cat? Only, I had to get my girl as company for my lonely Ragdoll and he was so gentle, sweet and supportive, helped her gain confidence and settle in. And my dog (who came later) also has that gentle nature and simply turns away respectfully when hissed at. If they have the right nature to help you to help Charlie, I would really be tempted to keep him. The thought of what he's going to go through the whole time that shelter are making decisions about his future just really make me sad and angry, maybe because I know how things could turn out for a cat that isn't handled right. If people keep handing him back, he could quickly become really dangerous and his future full of firmly closed doors.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Fear aggressive foster cat

Post by booktigger »

I'm really surprised the shelter didn't think things through and just do his shots a week early to save that trauma. It is tricky if they need medication, how bad are his eyes? I wouldn't say you aren't the right fit for this, you are doing everything right, and 4 weeks is nothing for timid cats and it does sound like his aggression is only when pushed, he won't just come and attack you unprovoked.