Cat Foster Needed - Norfolk, UK

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
mollycat2022
New Cat Chatter

Cat Foster Needed - Norfolk, UK

Post by mollycat2022 »

Hi - my Dad has been in hospital for several months and is likely to remain there for at least another 4-6 weeks. We originally found a foster home for his Cat, Molly, but after approx 8 weeks the fosterer had to move Molly on due to personal circumstances. We then put her in a cattery for 3 weeks but was worried about whether this was the right environment for her long term. Since then we have moved her to my house and tried to put her in a pen in the garden but unfortunately she does not get on with other animals and has taken an extreme dislike to my cat who is an indoor/outdoor cat. Since then we have moved her to an upstairs bedroom but with the current heat, I'm worried this is also not a good long term environment for her. We have contacted many local sanctuaries but have not found anyone to help us take Molly as a foster. If you are able to offer a temporary home where she would be the only pet, please get in contact. Thank you
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: Cat Foster Needed - Norfolk, UK

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Sorry to hear about your dad and the situation with Molly. Well done for looking after Molly so far, you are clearly doing the best you can for her.

I know it's not perfect, but she will be OK in your upstairs room, just keep the curtains / blinds closed (or nearly closed) to keep the heat out. Make sure she always has access to fresh water, and and if you could put a fan in there, that would help too. Cats can keep cooler when they can lay on a hard surface like lino, laminate, or tiles or on hard furniture like a desk / table or similar, rather than on soft furnishings, so it would be worth putting a table or similar in the room if there isn't a hard surface to lay on already.

She will have as much if not more space in your upstairs room than she would have in most catteries, so if you can't find another foster home just think of your upstairs room as a temporary luxury cattery!

I know you have contacted some shelters, but have you tried Wood Green Animal Shelters? I believe they can sometimes take cats on a temporary basis, in circumstances such as hospitalisation, and they cover Norfolk. Worth a try anyway
Wood Green Animal Shelters
Tel: 0300 303 9333 / Email: [email protected]
https://www.woodgreen.org.uk

I'd also advise emailing our Help Desk to ask if they have further suggestions: cat.advice (at) catchat.org

Good luck and fusses to Molly!
mollycat2022
New Cat Chatter

Re: Cat Foster Needed - Norfolk, UK

Post by mollycat2022 »

Thank you for your response! She is currently chilling out on the window sill watching the world go by with a fan on constant - kitty luxury! :D We may have found someone who is willing to take her on for the next few weeks but if not, I will contact Wood Green as they're not one I have heard of previously and will also take comfort in your comments about her staying in the upstairs room if necessary. Many thanks!