Long term Fostering and possible adoption

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
arno12
New Cat Chatter

Long term Fostering and possible adoption

Post by arno12 »

Hi,

One of my 2 cats died of sudden death in his sleep in February, he was slightly younger than my other cat and appeared in good health, ate well and was his usual self so it was quite a shock, I found him in his usual sleeping position on my bed and he looked peaceful. My other cat didn't react one way or another as far as I could tell. They were not siblings however I adopted them when they were kitten and the older one (by 3 months) whilst dominant was also grooming him and whilst they rarely slept together they played every day chasing each other and fighting even the last few days prior to the youngest one dying.

Since then, my cat has lost a bit of weight - he had a full check up including blood test and is in good health (he's 11), he's a crossed breed neutered male and up until two years ago was indoors only as I got a place with a private garden in 2020. The vet says it's almost certainly due to a loss of muscle. He's like a little dog almost always next to me and is very affectionate, he goes in the garden but never for long and seem sometimes bored/sad. I try to play with him (he's always loved strings and laser pens) however he needs a bit more exercise and he gets bored with toys if I'm not involved. He doesn't get on with the neighbour's cat (younger female) and I realise it would take months for any kind of bond to occur if ever with another cat, even if they were suited for each other.

I'd be happy to foster a senior cat around his age with a similar character (still playful) however it can't be another dominant cat and while I can manage vet bills for one and to feed two, I would have struggled with two ageing cats as I don't have the income I used to have when I took them in and with access to the garden and my boy getting older, I make sure he gets his check ups and keep his vaccination up to date. Whilst I will probably improve my income, I am not certain, nor am I certain it will be a match - which is why I was thinking long term fostering. Keeping the two separate long term would defeat the point (although I get that it might be necessary to start with). I've otherwise got everything for them to be happy. The garden is enclosed, cat flap with microchip for them to come and go and while it is a one bedroom it is large enough for each cat to have their space. I'd be sad to adopt a cat if they don't get on however I'd be happy to consider adopting a long term foster cat if they do get on and I improve my income.

I work from home most of the time and when I go into the office it is close by so I am never gone for too long. I have a friend who stays at my place when I go away so it's just a matter of knowing whether I should give it a go and whether any association would allow the two pets to roam freely within the flat and garden after a quarantine if necessary. A senior cat is preferred (from 7-8 to11-12) as long as he's playful and healthy. Although dominant, my cat is not much of a fighter and usually would express his discontent and only attacked if provoked, he never fought with the neighbour's cat although he won't let her come too close (even when she sneaks into my place).

He would fight with my other cat but this was in a playful manner and never injured him. I am not sure if I would make things worse or not and whether I should give it a go?

Advice welcome.

Thank you
Arno
YogiBoy
Site Admin
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Long term Fostering and possible adoption

Post by YogiBoy »

Hi Arno,

Fostering is a great idea, and most rescues are always in need of new foster homes.

Two things I would suggest:
First, check out our page on Fostering: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/foster-cat-kitten
Then drop a line to our Help Desk for more info: cat.advice (at) catchat.org

Or otherwise, make contact with a rescue or two in your area, and see what their requirements are – you can find their contact details on our Shelter Pages, as follows – just choose your area, on this page: https://www.catchat.org/shelters

Good luck, hope that helps!