I don’t know what to do.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
DeeBee
New Cat Chatter

I don’t know what to do.

Post by DeeBee »

Our family our pets too. Are shaken, I rescued a honey of an elderly cat (one moment she is full of love/ next it’s the scariest thing) we guess about 9. By herself she can be a honey and then aggressive. We have had her for 8 months. She attacked me back in February and I had to have antibiotics and in my county the drs had to call and make a police report, if she bites again law is to put her down. She did bite my daughter a few months ago. But I think it was the kiss bite because no blood was drawn) She has her good days and her bad days (I mean don’t we all).However I thought she was doing better. We introduced her to our other animals properly. I read and re read. For the most part she ignores our dog. But she has become aggressive to our other cat. I was like ok and tried several attempts to separate and re introduce. However it’s not looking like it will work. I hate to give up on her, so I thought about just putting her in a bedroom forever. But I can’t imagine her living the rest of her life in my bedroom. But I also can’t trust her when we sleep . She will come up purring and rub herself on you, we let her come to the hand and rub her cheeks. She is really sweet but she can attack the dog or our other cat on Whim she gets into a hunters stalking position, and I have to snag her before she goes after the others. No way am I quick enough, I top of that we are a simi active family there are times we need to leave the home. I can’t protect the other animals if I am outside. She stalks them. And then she grapples them with her front legs in like a choke hold and starts digging her hind legs into the animal clawing out clumps of fur and biting. I don’t know what to do. I am afraid if I tell my vet he will tell me she has to be put down. Our hearts are very broken and worried.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: I don’t know what to do.

Post by Mollycat »

You do need to talk to your vet. There could be a medical reason for this aggression, or maybe the cat will settle down but is that a risk you can afford to take? A cat can easily blind a dog, or a dog can retaliate and kill a cat - doing nothing and leaving them all with full access to each other could end really badly for everyone.

I know this sounds really tough but is it possible for this elderly cat to have a happy life in which she and everyone around her is safe? Would she be better in a home with no other pets and someone who is experienced in handling Jekyll and Hyde cats? Is it possible that her sudden attacks are because she doesn't feel safe with other pets around? This kind of situation places enormous stress on everyone, humans, the cat in question, and other pets.

You need to consider everyone's safety, emotional well being and welfare here. If your vet can find a treatable condition, brilliant. If not, you can make decisions before it's too late and someone gets really badly hurt.