New cat hissing and growling at me

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
thecatqueen22
New Cat Chatter

New cat hissing and growling at me

Post by thecatqueen22 »

Hi all. Let me give some background before getting into the issue. I’ve had three cats for a couple of years now. I successfully introduced and integrated the 2nd and 3rd into the home on my own, but they had easy personalities to begin with.

Now, I was alert by a rehoming site (I had signed up for email alerts in my area) that a cat was available right in my area. Previously these alerts showed available cats from areas too far from me or had specific reasons why I couldn’t take them in (medical, has to be the only cat, etc). Anyways, I recently was alerted of a cat that needed to be rehomed in my area so I met with the owners and ended up taking the cat in. My impression of the owners is that they weren’t serious about taking care of their cat. The cat has only been to the vet twice (and is 4 years old) and they have been cagey with me about her medical records and why they are rehoming her. They stated they wanted to find someone “who wouldn’t give up on her like we are.”

As soon as the owners brought the cat (Coco) over, I put her in my second bedroom separate from my other cats, which was filled with some of her toys, scratching post, pillows, food, water and litter box.

Immediately I noticed Coco’s demeanor was aggressive. She started hissing at her owners and hissing at me. Once the owners left, I left Coco alone to have so space and time to adjust.

The next day I fed her breakfast and she hissed at me. She has taken over my desk and so when I went to setup for work and get my laptop going, she scared me a lot by really hissing and growling a lot at me. She almost made a small lunge/step forward towards me as she did it and I jumped backwards thinking she would attack.

When things are calm I give her liquid treats which she enjoys, but she has still been hissing and growling at me. I have a pet cam in there to keep and eye on her and noticed that she hangs out by the door a lot and scratches on the door sometimes, so I think she wants out, but under no circumstances do I want her to attack my other three cats (who have never shown aggression and i don’t want them to learn or get hurt/traumatized).

So, at last, I am here to crowdsource thoughts, comments and advice! What’s the best way to overcome her hissing at me? I’ve tried to understand what’s causing her to hiss. She is perhaps a bit afraid, but frankly she’s not cowering or hiding. She is being pretty forward - sitting on my desk and directly hissing at me. I wonder if it’s territorial based aggression? Either way how do we overcome this?? Thank you!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New cat hissing and growling at me

Post by Mollycat »

Sounds to me like poor Coco has had a rough time and learned that the only way to be given some space is to be aggressive. She is clearly deeply unhappy, who knows perhaps ill or in pain, and has not been loved and respected for the special little soul she is. It seems to me maybe she would have been better in a single cat home to help her work through her fears, but you have her and if you are committed to making this home work for her and everyone else, and are up to the challenge, it might work out.

My girl was quite a traumatised second time rescue, and she was quite hissy for a long time. I mean years. But not at all aggressive. Are you sure Coco is actually being aggressive? Or is it (more likely) she is terrified, confused, and being defensive - warning you by hissing and then growling if she feels you haven't backed off enough. Cornered cat syndrome.

Be calm and non-confrontational, quiet and gentle but not fearful. When mine used to hiss I would stop and pull back respectfully but not submissively - does that make sense? And I would talk to her in a quiet, gentle but upbeat voice, it's all right, good girl, I know sweetheart I'm not going to hurt you, and so on. Keep your movements calm slow and deliberate so as not to startle her, everything has to be gentle around her. Do not try to approach or touch her when she hisses at you, just turn your face away, eyes down, body slightly away, no eye contact, keep still and talk gently and reassuringly. You can sit on the floor in her room at a distance from her, ignore her completely and read out loud in a soft voice. When she comes to investigate you, by all means praise her but do not move. Some people say use treats - I don't, never have, never will. Touch when hopefully you eventually get there should be its own reward.

Coco needs to learn that you will respect her and not try to force her. It will take her time, but if you are consistent and calm she will get there. She also needs to be really comfortable with you and the room before you can even think about whether you can introduce her to the others, that is a whole other ball game. So you may need to think long and hard in the next weeks and months whether Coco is right for you and whether you, your home and your other household members are going to be right for Coco. If not, then letting her go to a single cat home would not be a failure if it's best for her. Whatever happens, we're all here to help.
thecatqueen22
New Cat Chatter

Post by thecatqueen22 »

Hi there Mollycat. Thanks so much for your response. This is exactly how I feel about Coco and her situation. Thank you so, so much for this advice.

My plan is to slowly gain her trust, following the advice you gave me. Once I can safely put her in a carrier I will take her to the vet and see about finding her a single pet home. I always want to do what’s best for the animal.

Today I have been approaching Coco at a slightly turned away angle, with my head and eyes adverted and she hasn’t hissed or growled at me once! She even ate food out of my hand and let me give her a brief stroke. What progress for a single day! My voice is still quite startling to her, but I am slowly desensitizing her to my voice.

Thank you again!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

If she is making progress that quickly maybe she will be able to settle with you and your resident gang.

Keep an open mind?
thecatqueen22
New Cat Chatter

Post by thecatqueen22 »

Definitely!!! I will keep you updated on her progress 🤩
thecatqueen22
New Cat Chatter

Post by thecatqueen22 »

Mollycat wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:52 pm If she is making progress that quickly maybe she will be able to settle with you and your resident gang.

Keep an open mind?
Okay so here’s an update: Via the petcam I have in Coco’s room, I saw that she was standing at the door a lot. So I went into the room to say hi and she started to run around my legs, brushing herself on my legs back and forth. I slowly reached down to pet her and she hissed at me. When I back my hand off she went back to run back and forth against my legs. What does this mean?! That she is craving some human interaction but still doesn’t want me to initiate it?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

That's exactly what Molly used to do, a kind of push-pull thing.

It's fine, you have to remember hissing is not aggression, hissing is a fearful defensive response to a perceived threat. If it's not heeded or a cat feels the need to shout louder then yes they will lash out, but hissing mimics a snake and dangerous creatures listen to snakes so the cat's ancestors who have no venomous bite copied the snake hiss that makes even the fiercest of beasts stop in their tracks! Except a mongoose, of course.

It sounds like Coco wants to love and trust you, but she is unsure of you and doesn't want you taking liberties touching her uninvited. She needs to know you will respect her space and leave her alone when she wants to be left alone. It's ok, she is making sure she can trust you and that you will listen to her and respect her. She has after all just been betrayed by the last people she loved and trusted, remember, so this time she might be testing the human a little bit more thoroughly!

Great progress, it's still very early days. When she hisses, just give her a little more space and talk reassuringly to her that it's ok and nobody's going to hurt her, whatever you need to tell her.

PS you're falling in love with her already aren't you!