[Midlothian] Considering a rescue - what do you think?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

[Midlothian] Considering a rescue - what do you think?

Post by sarie »

Hey everyone :) So I have two cats already, I've had them since they were babies. Clive, a very playful ginger tom 6 years old and Harvey, a less playful but very clingy 4 year old grey tabby boy.
I love them to bits and we have a good thing going on right now so I'm unsure whether or not it's wise to risk this so I'm after some opinions!

Here's some background. Both my cats are very easy going around other cats and have visited my parents in the past who have three other cat. They always fit right in with the other cats with no problems and are both cat friendly so I know they don't have a problem with other cats.
One of my parent's cats is a little female, 4 years old called Rosie. When we're there Clive plays and plays for hours with Rosie and seems to have such a lovely time. Harvey tolerates Clive at home but to be honest he really doesn't like him. Harv is pretty bright and I think he finds Clive irritating as he's a bit of a dumb ginger (poor thing). All Clive wants is to play and when he attempts to play with Harvey it ends in violence. I'd love to get a playmate for Clive who'll give him the time of day and I'd hope that this has the added effect of meaning that Clive leaves Harvey alone and focuses his attentions on the other cat. However, I suppose the risk is that they both just gang up on Harvey instead, although I'm sure he'd put them in their place as he's pretty good at being the boss but there are no guarantees.

I've recently bought my own home and I now have the space and the money to facilitiate another cat and I'd absolutely love to rescue as I see so many cats stuck in shelters for months who aren't getting the love and comfort they deserve. I figured if I were to do it then it'd be sensible to perhaps take on a young, playful female who's unlikely to make them feel threatened but will perhaps give Clive the friendship he desires from another cat.
I live alone but I'm out of the house working from 8am-7pm every day so my cats have a catflap and amuse themselves when I'm out.

What do you think? Too risky? As far as behavioural issues my cats currently have none whatsoever so I'd hate to mess things up. They have some pretty nasty punchups but that's purely down to Harvey being impatient with Clive's desire to play. Other than that we have a pretty quiet household.

It's not something I intend to rush into so I'd appreciate your thoughts :)
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: [Midlothian] Considering a rescue - what do you think?

Post by Themogfather »

I would recommend getting a kitten or young cat who would be up to playing with Clive this might help with Harvey as they will play with each other rather than anoying Harvey.
If you do a careful introduction from what you say things should go ok. You might have some short time distruption and sulking but things should settle down if you dont make a big deal about it. Just monitor for exsesive violance like clawing biting etc. Once dominance is sorted things should settle down.
I have a 15 year old and a 7 year old and recently got 2 3.5 month old kittens which are in the process of settling in. So far so good, Some hissing but no violance or chasing.
I hope you decide to get another cat but please make it a rescue one as there are so many looking for there forever homes.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

A couple of years ago I added a little female to my gang as a playmate for one of mine, who was younger and more playful than the rest. It worked out really well for us, and did indeed stop my Daz from chasing the oldies. With the right cat, thoughtfully chosen, and following careful introductions I think it's worth giving it a go. A good rescue will help you find the right cat.

I'd be tempted to go for an adult cat, rather than a kitten, as their personality will have developed and you will have a better idea what sort of cat you are taking on. There is also the fact that adult cats find it harder to find homes than kittens do. Good luck! :)
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Thanks guys :) Yeah the plan was always to get a rescue if I were going to do it as I want to offer a home to a cat who's stuck in a shelter, I don't just want "another cat" for my sake; it's for the boys and for the welfare of the rescue cat who would otherwise be stuck in a cattery. If for any reason I thought it was going to be a bad idea for any of them then I wouldn't do it as the decision isn't for my own benefit. I don't mind if the cat I were to rehome doesn't really like people, as long as it loves other cats.

I figured I'd prefer to rehome a young cat (i.e. 1-4 years old) rather than a kitten as I wouldn't like to leave a kitten home alone for long hours with two larger cats and as you say, they rehome more easily; I'd prefer to get a cat who might struggle to find a home otherwise. Thus a shy but playful cat would be perfect... if I go down the route of doing this then that's exactly what I'll be asking from rescues :)
I'd love to take on an even older cat as they struggle even more to find homes but my circumstances aren't right for that right now.

FYI I'm an experienced cat owner (have had cats all my life). I introduced Harvey to Clive when Clive was 18 months old; Harvey was aged 16 weeks. I got him as Clive was really lonely and needed company. Clive mothered him like his own, it was so sweet. He used to wash him and cuddle him. It's so sad that Harvey is so ungrateful :)
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

yay! Lothian Cat Rescue and Sunny Harbour Cat Rescue are great ones btw so definitely check them out :)
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Haha yay, a fellow Edinburgh cat person :D I've had a look at both and they both look ideal so if I decide to go down this route I'll be contacting them to see if they have anyone who's looking for my kind of home :)
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

sarie wrote:Haha yay, a fellow Edinburgh cat person :D I've had a look at both and they both look ideal so if I decide to go down this route I'll be contacting them to see if they have anyone who's looking for my kind of home :)
I know :lol: I was so excited when I saw Midlothian :lol: woo Edinburgh cat people!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

:lol: I live in Dalkeith but I work in Edinburgh next door to the Omni Centre. Thankfully a few of the people I work with are cat people so I don't feel too cat-ladyesque; I only moved here recently after living in the midlands for 10 years :D
Did you see they're trying to open a cat cafe in Edinburgh similar to the one that just opened in London? :mrgreen:
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

I live pretty near to Dalkeith - near Cameron Toll! Yes! I'm not sure yet how I feel a lot it though, would be awfully stressful for the cats but the one in London seems to be doing it very well as they are by appointment only.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Ahhh that's not far from me at all haha, cat party!!

I visited the one in London not long after it opened and if Edinburgh copies their model then it'll be fantastic. Their cats are the most happy, laid back cats I've ever had the pleasure of encountering and there are very strict house rules in place to prevent stress to the cats. The cats they have were all carefully chosen too so they all have the right temperament to fit into a multi-cat, multi-human environment without getting stressed out.
The London cafe has a private space for the cats to go if they want to get away from people and the main rules are that you don't touch or disturb a cat that is sleeping or eating and you don't pick any of the cats up under any circumstances. You're also forbidden to feed them and there are staff lurking around who enforce the rules but who also chat with you about the cats and play with them constantly.
As it's by appointment the numbers in there at any one time are limited and everyone seemed to be quite happy sticking to the rules as everyone there seemed to love cats - I guess they'd have to as it'd be weird to go out of your way to book a visit if you didn't like them hehe.

If the Edinburgh one sets up the same way then I'll be very excited for it as I'd have loved to visit the London one again :) Although I was enjoying a cream scone and one of the cats did a pretty horrific smelling number 2 in the tray nearby... it was delightful! The staff are pretty quick at intercepting the offending tray though haha.

Highly recommend a visit to the London cat cafe if you're ever down that way :)