Please help this could be trouble.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
m1m131
New Cat Chatter

Please help this could be trouble.

Post by m1m131 »

**Sorry for humungous wall of text, but I really need help with this one.**

**edit: [Mia and Domo with Sister's Husband - http://imgur.com/a/c3DKl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)]**

Aight, lets set the scene.

-Me, reforming my flat, recently and permanently split from long term relationship with gf with grade over 9000 cat alergy.

>Sister&Hubby's neighbor find a weirdly fearful but also cuddly feral? Kitten inside their garden, decide to keep it.

>Kitten fights tough with family small dog.

>Kitten has to go.

>Sis and hubby take kitten into a house with cat proofed garden. 2 older cats live there. 4 year old dominant - stressed at the moment, nothing special always kinda grumpy - female cat. Also they have the lovliest 3 year old male siamese cat you could ever imagine. Goes around begging for hugs and cuddles and cleaning the other cats. There is also another cat, 1 year old, still a kitten, really playful and friendly but really big, he is gone now tho, he was just being taken care of while the original "owner" was on vacation. Real vacation, not like Forest's dad.

>Kitten goes to vet gets checked, parasite cleaned. He is apparently a lot younger than we thought, 2 months and a half tops, this was two weeks ago.
He is now just about to finish changing his kitten hair. We were fooled by how big he was, apparently he is a mix-breed with some big big cat, Maine Coon most probably.

>Kitten is really hungry but not starving when found. So maybe not feral?

>Kitten needs house, too many cats at my sis'. Connect with cat a lot. I offer house. Start doing brief clicker training sessions with male kitten.

>Cant actually take kitten to new home yet, although reforms end next week and I will kitty proof fast.

>Decide to adopt kitten to make Domo company - Domo is the male kitten.

>Start doing brief clicker training sessions with male kitten. Also a lot of play sessions. We are a bit worried, Domo seems really scared when some1 steps close to him or puts a hand over him. Is the hands approaches from the side its fine and he wont walk away. Domo panicks when he sees you wanna pick him up, but also loves to be picked up one he is up and will stay and cuddle on our laps and even come by himself and cuddle.

>In sessions I am starting encourage walking on top of me-do not fear contact, letting me touch him, not be scared of eye contact, he is just learning his name now also.

>Clicker was charged in 3-4 sessions, and it appears that Domo even knew some tricks from before like paw or he is an extremely fast learner.

>I feel I can help this kitten, he is still young.

>Fall in love with 6 week old female kitten found by vet feeding off dead mum at 2 weeks old (sad face)

>We decided to take kitten with us to my sis's. Vets could not keep the anymore.

>Sis and hubby decide to skip introduction, or kinda make it their way, its their house, they are long time cat owners and they are making me, Domo, and Mia a lifesaving favour.

>I manage to get them to get Mia (extremely small female kitten-6 weeks) isolated in a small space after she's terrified for like 10 minutes at 3 frikken big cats and a huge kitten trying to smell her and get to know her.

>After 10 mins Mia starts crying, I go in with her but shes scared so I lie on the floor and check my phone.

>Fall asleep, wake up on the floor and Mia is sleeping on my chest, after sleeping on my belly that night, I am kind of her "dad-mum" if only for 3-4 hours a day (not my house :( )

>Mia agrees to eat something next morning.

>Mia has slightly soft poop when she manages to go to the litterbox next day after all the stress from the night before.

HERE COMES THE PROBLEM:

>Slowly but surely Mia stops hissing at the other cats over the next few days and seems happy to be around exploring, specially with humans around. On the other hand Mia spends 8 hours a day alone, confined so she does not get hurt.

>Domo loves to play with Mia, but he is used to play with 5-6 kgs heavy cats. He plays really really rough and Mia just used to lower her ears, puff up and hiss and Domo would go away.

>Kittens get "used to each other" (remember no introduction?)

>Domo stops backing off, even the times he understands that Mia is not a cotton tou mouse. He knows she will not retribute. (he is huge for his age)

>Mia wants to run away and cat, Domo somehow fits in everyplace she also fits and chases her. He just plays, bites - and im sure is as rough with Mia as he used to be with me - and then licks the hell out of you, but Mia does not know this. She's terrified I think, she will come back for more, but in time, and Domo doesn't give her time.

> Today I had to clap on the floor to separate them after specially terrfying noises coming from Mia, she sounded like she was dying under the piece of furniture she was trying to hide into, Domo managed to corner her inside.

> I committed an awful mistake and said Domo stop in Loudish voice while I clapped. Mia jumps on me and Domo walks away and kinda cries a bit while in a corner looking at me.

> I have been "neglecting" Domo, apart from our sessions lately. 3-4 10 mins clicker training, feeding, playing, a day, I just realized this as I write now. I have been really focussed on Mia, she is 2 small, still frikken struggles to fully open her eyes.

>How can I fix this behaviours, Mia had soft poop on her bed today - maybe from stress from moving (Shes with us for only 4 days now, remember 0 introductions, she just has a room to sleep alone).

>It has taken me 3 hours to get Domo to stop being scaredy, he is not scared of me but I feel like I have gone back in time to two weeks ago, when he took the food our of my hand and ate if at a couple of feet from me. --> He didnt do this today after the fight tho, he just looks like it. Like I am betraying him.

> Mia is otherwise a really brave explorer, weighting only 450 grams, she cuddles, sprints around and tries to climb a lot. When shes not scared she tried to play with Domo until Domo hurts her.

What can I do? Is this normal behaviour? I feel its critical that both Mia, (motherless cat) and Domo (probably abused kitten) have a pleasant kittenhood so they can be healthy later, and I am trying to do my best, but the situation is tough.

I feel this could be really distressing for such a small cat as Mia, and I have asked my Sis to always provide a place to hide as soon as ears are down and hissing starts.

Seeing as I cant do anymore right now, my sister asked me today if its essential that I go there EVERYDAY to see the kittens, I said yes and took them out for dinner, its all good now.

How would you go about introducing both to my house the next week? Same rooms, different rooms? Cage? I will have time to be with them, having just a couple of 6 hours shifts to work a week for the next two months.