Tiny kittens found - urgent advice required

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
MrsMac
New Cat Chatter

Tiny kittens found - urgent advice required

Post by MrsMac »

Hi folks,

Whilst removing my elderly father's falling down shed we came across three tiny kittens huddling in a corner, but Mum was nowhere to be seen. Unfortunately we had already removed the majority of the shed so they would have been exposed to the elements and we felt we couldn't leave them where they were. We have them indoors at the moment in a cardboard box, my guess is they are only 4 or 5 weeks old and still being fed by Mum.

How do we feed them until we can get them into a shelter? I've bought some kitten milk but they are not lapping. I've never looked after kittens who don't already eat so I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks very much.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Tiny kittens found - urgent advice required

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome,

Whereabouts are you? the kittens really need their mum, you could ask around as people may have been feeding the mum, they are most likely feral. First thing I would do though is get in touch with a rescues near you: you can find a list of rescues if you click on the map here:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd ring round now and hopefully one will be able to collect the kittens from you, and hopefully find mum cat or advise what to do. Or you could even contact your nearest vets, they should be able to advise and usually have contacts with local rescues too. Best of luck!
MrsMac
New Cat Chatter

Post by MrsMac »

Hi, thanks for taking time to respond. We're currently near Bedlington. I did call Cat Protection as soon as we found the kits so hopefully we'll hear from them tomorrow as my husband and I live in Scotland and need to go back home tomorrow.

Would you recommend putting the kittens back where the shed used to be in the hope that Mum finds them and moves them elsewhere?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That is what I was going to suggest. But as you are going home tomorrow, I would be unhappy to just leave them and hope that mum came back.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hopefully you will hear from CP soon, I wouldn't wait though if you don't hear in the morning I'd try other rescues, here's a list of shelters in that area:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/nthumb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you need some advice ASAP, all the best.
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Ideally putting them back and then sitting back and waiting for mum who is hopefully domestic is the ideal as it means mum can be spayed and kittens homed when old enough.

Unfortunately not an ideal situation so hand rearing is the only option now.

Ring local vets, most have at least one member of staff that can hand rear and many vets will have a contact with a local rescue.

Orphan kittens should be of the highest priority to any half decent rescue.

If you have any syringes in the house or a pipette/dropper this is the best way to get milk into tines.