Need help with re-homed cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Librarian98
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Need help with re-homed cat

Post by Librarian98 »

This is my first post here. We have a re-homed cat, and she is not settling in as smoothly as we had hoped. She is our only pet.

Katie is a very small 6 year old female who has been spayed and declawed. She came from a home where she was not only neglected, but two large dogs were allowed to terrorize her. We have three adults living in our two-story + basement house, and hoped that the change in living quarters would do her good. We do not have a "safe room" for her, but we created a space in the basement for her food and water bowl. Her litterbox is in another corner of the basement. She came out of her carrier as soon as we opened it, and wound herself around my ankles. She also let me pet her, but only for a minute or so. She ran into the corner and found a hiding place in our basement, and only came out at night to eat/drink/use the litterbox for the first week.

I was disappointed that her former owner did not send any toys with her. Come to find out, the dogs would destroy/steal her toys. We've bought her a few toys, but she hasn't played with any that we can tell.

We are in the second week, and Katie is venturing further afield. She has discovered a window in my 2nd floor sunroom. She finally came into the living room three times while we were watching TV Sunday night. She came in further each time, and left casually. We talk to her whether we see her or not, and have never reached for her or made any attempt to touch her. We left a couple of "Pounce" treats out, and they were both gone the next morning. Yesterday I was very optimistic that Katie was on her way to accepting us.

I was sitting in the sunroom reading last night when she came bounding in. We both startled, and she turned and ran. I did not see her again all night. This morning when I got up, I discovered a "present" on the loveseat in the 1st floor den. It was solid, and I flushed it, then cleaned/sprayed the loveseat.

I'm not sure why she waited ten days to soil and now I'm concerned that she will continue to soil other areas of the house.

Any words of wisdom? We have owned cats in the past, but got each of them as a kitten, and they socialized well. An adult cat who is leery of us is a whole new experience.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Need help with re-homed cat

Post by Jacks »

Welcome to CatChat and welcome to Katie!

Her story sounds a little like my new adoptee, Phoebe. Phoebe was kept initially we think with dogs and in deprived circumstances but most recently had been straying outdoors and was scavenging for food and in poor condition.

It is now five weeks coming up since we got her and each week sees some progress. Initially she was pleased to have our company but was terrified of leaving her safe room and if the door was open hid in a corner between the bed and the wall and cried in terror if we came into the room. She was a sad little creature. But bit by bit she is coming out of her shell and starting to become bolder. She is integrating with our other cats but has both wanted our company but fled in fright if we've moved suddenly or she's suddenly come across us.

I would think that Katie has similarly been quite traumatised and it will take her time to build up confidence that things (and you) are okay. There's a big difference for a cat between a human that is sitting with them, stroking them, and one that is walking around and moving suddenly.

I would spend some time talking to her in the room, sitting on the floor or on a surface, so that she gets used to you, and pet her where possible. A week is not long and the fact that she's coming into the room where you are and leaving without panic suggests she's starting to gain in confidence. I wouldn't leave her totally to herself though - that's not a pattern you want to encourage. Try a rod with a simple string on the end to dangle on the floor and see if she starts to get the idea to play. I have an ex- wild boy who hadn't a clue about toys to start with but over the months he has learned to enjoy playing and LOVES a simple piece of black string from a dangly toy wriggling on the ground!

As for the offering, I would try giving two litter trays. Many cats don't like doing their business in the same place they've done a wee, because of the smell. You could also try some other type of litter in the second tray, if that doesn't work...

Keep us posted.
Librarian98
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Librarian98 »

Okay, I'm a bit embarrassed ... :oops:

It was vomit, not stool. I'm not much of a cat-mama, I'm afraid. I've spoken to my two housemates (neither one was up this morning), and from what I've described, and Katie's litterbox, they've told me she probably ate too much, too fast, and it came back.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am talking to myself in just about every area of the house, just in case Katie is hanging out within hearing distance. We have a couple of dangling toys, but they haven't caught her interest yet.

I will keep everyone posted. This is a fantastic resource - thank you for providing it!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Ah! Forgiven! Yes, cat sick comes in two forms - digested, which is watery and generally a yellow-brown and can be accompanied by a hairball which looks like a small poop (one of ours has these all the time; she's long haired) or a regurgitation from eating too much/too quickly. This is completely undigested cat food and gets returned in the most unfortunate places - the worst was when our girl had a hairball stuck and threw up on the top of a ceiling high cat tree straight into the top of an antique lamp... :o

A bit of kitchen roll and some dettol spray is always at the ready in our house :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Hi, just to say I agree with everything Jacks has said (including the bit about the having the spray and kitchen roll handy)! :D

I have a similarly timid ex-stray 2 year old girl who is gradually, slowly but surely, coming out of her shell. It does take time, but it sounds as though you girl is starting to settle in and, given time and patience, will come round I'm sure. As Jacks says, spend time time in the room with her, talk to her (I sit in a corner and read aloud sometime to get them used to my voice) and gently try to initiate play. You'll have some days that seem to go better than others, but keep going - it's so rewarding when they do come around. Good luck!

*PS Jacks, glad to hear Phoebe's coming out of her shell!* :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi and welcome to CC.

Don't worry, to me it sounds like you are doing just fine. As for the 'embarrassment' we've all been there! :lol: Folks are very friendly here and always willing to help. As for the kitchen towel, I don't know what I'd do without it!

Best wishes and keep in touch
Librarian98
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Librarian98 »

Great strides were made last night! I sat on the floor in the living room, and she came to me. She "let" me pet/scratch her until my arm ached - I think she was trying to make up for lost time. She stayed in the living room with us for about three hours, only getting a little spooked when one of us would get up to do something.

I was in the den on the computer about midnight, and she came to me, crying. I patted my lap, and she jumped up. Of course, then she had to explore, so I gave up and went to bed. This morning, she came to see me when I was in the den, but I got up and she ran, and I haven't seen her since. Still, I think we may have turned the corner, so to speak.

Thank you again for this forum!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Great strides indeed! She's definitely getting there. :)
Librarian98
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Librarian98 »

Katie likes her cat tree! My avatar is a picture of Katie, surveying her new world from her perch in the living room.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh bless her! She's lovely. :)