Trapping advice please

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 5

Trapping advice please

Post by Batfink »

I'm worried about what I believe to be a feral cat with a missing paw. See the following "found" thread for more detail: http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/view ... =10&t=1436

A bit more background. He looks similar to another large black and white with one eye that was seen around a few years back. Sadly he/she was run over and not claimed. I don't know the sex as I didn't find him and a neighbour dealt with him as although bringing him to me I was too upset to do anything as he looked like one of mine and until I got a better look thought it was. We live in a very rural, edge of small village area surrounded by farms. There are several owned cats around but we've had a few ferals lost on the main road from time to time. Also, had one brought to us as a kitten with cat flu that we took in. A lot of people don't neuter, microchip or care much for cats around here.

Wondering if anyone has any tips on trapping, where to place a trap, how to bait etc? Also, any other thoughts on the situation? Do you think I should let him be? He was first spotted back in May and is still about so seems to be managing but will he manage in winter? I worry that he will struggle to hunt and may hurt himself further with his missing paw.
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Trapping advice please

Post by Batfink »

Just to update. I haven't seen him since sadly. Just hope he is managing somehow. Hoping perhaps he will come around the house more now it is getting colder.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Trapping advice please

Post by Jacks »

Oh the poor boy - I hope he's okay. Sounds like you have your work cut out in an area where people are not very caring about cat welfare. I hope you see him again as the weather gets colder - I successfully trapped and have now taken in a wild boy and he was very smart and difficult to trap so I have a few ideas if you do get to try. My first step was to set up a cat 'feeding station' outside the back door - basically some old recycling boxes with pieces of MDF covered in plastic bags on top to make covered areas where a cat could eat without getting wet. In the end I added a Mr Snugs kennel for warmth if the weather was cold. Once he was coming regularly for food I started putting in a trap and it was close enough to the back door that I could trip it without him doing it as he wouldn't step on the treadle.

Please let us know if he starts coming back - he really needs a vet check if nothing more and neutering at least if he hasn't been 'done'.