New kitten - Cats Protection

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

New kitten - Cats Protection

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Hi All!

I have Cats Protection coming out for a home visit next week! Eeeek! I hope my house is assessed as fit for cats - sometimes it may not seem like it's fit for humans! Haha!

I've never rescued/adopted before so I'm getting quite excited. Any pointers or tips?

But...if paper work all ok, willthey expect me to take a kitten that day/week/month? How does it all work? Hubby and I have booked a wee mini break in November so wouldn't want a kitten before then!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: New kitten - Cats Protection

Post by booktigger »

Have you told them you have a break booked and don't want one just yet?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Heather,

Sorry I don't have any tips or advice on the subject (I'm sure someone will). I just want to wish you good luck. I'm sure you will have no problems in passing the assessment. :D
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Hi Heather

Good luck with your assesment.
I have had a couple from CP, when I looke for my first cat and again now I am looking for another.
Its all very non avasive they will have a chat with you and look at your location more than anything, to see any busy roads or local hazards, they will talk about the people that live in the house and ages and your job to see how much you are around in the day, they will fill out a short form and have a chat, they have never looked over every room in my home and have stayed in the room they have been invited into.
Once you have been approved they will give you a copy of the form and then ask you what cat you would like to see, if you have spotted one they will contact the fosterer and link you up with a visit, if you have not seen one you want to look at, they will keep you in mind and ask you to look at the web site. The adoption visit is valid for an amount of time, this I have found differs from branch to branch, some are valid for months others for weeks, so if you do not find a cat in the set time another home visit may be needed.
If you spot a cat on the CP web site that is from another branch you may need another visit from that branch, or you may not. I have found this varies from branch to branch some are happy to accept a home visit from another branch and others are not.
You may want to visit a cat more than once and you may want to visit a few cats before one hits the spot, I would advise to ask lots of questions and to remember the cat will have to get used to you as much as you to him/her.
The good thing is that the cat has had a check over and is up to date will jabs ect ect so there shouldn't be any hidden problems....you hope. :)
Good luck I am sure all will be fine.