Thinking of getting a kitten from a cat rescue centre

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Tara1984
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Thinking of getting a kitten from a cat rescue centre

Post by Tara1984 »

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a kitten from a cat rescue centre and I have been in touch with RSPCA and they are coming to do a home visit tomorrow. They asked me if I have a cat flap which I said no and she said we do require you to have this. She also said to me they need writing from my landlord that I am allowed to have pets which I dont have. I was wondering if anyone else has had a pet from the RSPCA and if they are in the same situation as me where I dont have a cat flap? I have a glass door so I dont think its possible to have a cat flap and I dont want other cats coming into my home.

Any advice really appreciated!

Tara
Nigel
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Thinking of getting a kitten from a cat rescue centre

Post by Nigel »

If the RSPCA won't let you adopt because you don't have a cat flap, there will be other rescue centres that won't have the same condition. I had a similar problem when I adopted my two, as I live in a flat and some centres won't allow cats to go to an indoor only home. However I found one who didn't have a problem with this, and the home visit was passed with no issues at all. I think centres need to be pragmatic, and a loving home with no cat-flat is still a million times better than a cage at a rescue centre.

If you're renting, then I would definitely get the landlord's permission first as you wouldn't want to be in the position of having to find a new place to live at short notice if they found out and didn't allow it.
Tara1984
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tara1984 »

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I take it you havent tried RSPCA then? Its a shame about RSPCA as there are quite a few kittens on their site that I like. I told her that the door is made of glass but she kept saying its their requirement and she is coming out tomorrow to do a home visit.

I have had a cat before and my landlord does know about that. I have said to him that the cat rescue centre need it in writing and he said thats fine. Do you think kittens at cat rescue centres have had their injections? I have looked online for kittens but all the ones I like dont seem to be in my location.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I applied to the RSPCA but they wouldn't rehome to me because I didn't have a cat flap, I'm also renting and have a sliding patio door as a back door which I didn't want to mess around with. My front door goes pretty much straight onto the road so I didn't feel this was safe enough to fit with a flap. Luckily my local CP would rehome without one so I went with them.
Tara1984
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tara1984 »

Did the RSPCA do a home visit? They are supposed to be doing a home visit later today but she did ask me lots of questions. I told her that I dont have a cat flap and the door is glass so its not really possible.

It might be worth me going with CP then. Did CP ask you to see permission from the landlord to have pets? This is what RSPCA asked me.
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

How did this go Tara ?
Did you manage to get a wee kitten ? Xx