advice needed on rescue cat. am I doing the right thing by h

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
loubie
Returning Cat Chatter

advice needed on rescue cat. am I doing the right thing by h

Post by loubie »

Hi everyone I need some advice on a rescue cat I adopted a couple of month ago. I guess I just need some reassuring or to let me know this isn't the right home for her. She is about 8 years old and disabled due to a car accident so is now an indoor cat. At first she had her own room with everything in there and regular visits but after a day oe so she was pawing at the door constantly to be with me. So I allowed her to be with me. Ive other pets and was told she was good with other pets but scared as cats in rescue bullied her. At first she would attack my cats for no apparent reason or if they were on my knee and she wanted to be on my knee she would attack till they moved so she could sit with me. She is getting much better with my other cats and hisses at times if they are in her way or if they are on my knee but now if they don't move she will sit next to the other cat on my knee or sit on her mat on the window will. She is very loving and affectionate with me allways purrs if stroked. For the first month or so she was reluctant to use a litter tray, it wasn't marking though as she would hold it in for hours before doing it on the floor. The vets ruled out anything medical and I tried different litters and moved the trays to where she was doing her business. The trays are checked and scooped 3/4 times a day and there is 12 trays in the house which is more then three per cat. The last 2 weeks she has used the trays without fail but might not be going as often as she should. I dont have any experience with adopting rescue cats especially adult cats so not sure how long it could take her to settle fully. Her past is un known and just worry that even though I love her maybe I have to many other pets for her to settle fully. Since coming to me physically she has improved her bald patches have healed up and her rough coat is now soft and put on weight now her worms have been taken care of and as i say there is slow improvement with others but just want the best for her. I don't want to send her back as I love her and know a black, disabled cat over 8 would be hard to find a home for and the rescue is in someones home with a lot more cats then I have so that wouldn't help her. Im not been impatient just not very experienced and no idea if I'm doing things wrong or how long this process takes any advice would be great
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: advice needed on rescue cat. am I doing the right thing

Post by Jacks »

To be honest it sounds like you are playing things exactly right for her! You haven't said how many other cats you have, but given her history the fact that she's so much better after 2 months is a good sign. I've recently taken on board no 5 and it's taking longer to integrate her especially as she had been quite traumatised in her past 'life'. She had hair problems too, and these seem to be clearing up. I've had her three months this week and it's only in the last few weeks the 'incidents' between them seem to have stopped. We had issues with one cat, then another, then another - all for different reasons - fear, territory and dominance issues.

My advice is keep doing what you're doing and one day you'll realise they are actually all getting along pretty well! These things take time and her disability will have made it harder for her to accommodate the resident felines - which is quite a task for any cat, disabled or not! Do tell us her name and post a picture if you can, we'd love to know more about her and your cat family.

12 litter trays!! I thought I was busy with 5! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
loubie
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: advice needed on rescue cat. am I doing the right thing

Post by loubie »

Hi thanks for your reply :-) I've always grown up with dogs so even though I've always loved cats I'm pretty new to cat ownership so its all new to me . there is loads of things on rescue dogs but hardly anything on rescue cats.
I think I've caught the cat loving bug now, I have 3 other kitties who are still kittens really. Isis is a colour point ragdoll, he is 9 month old now and a little theif as he has just ran off with a feather wand as the thinks he's just killed it lol then there is my tabby Persian boy he was a bit of a rescue as he was very poorly when I got him he's now 8 month and is on friendly terms with the vets as he has been so much when he was little and for silly little things since. teddy is another ragdoll, he's 6 month old but very small only 1.7 kg and loves cuddles, he's just been neutered on Friday . they are all very sweet and laid back.
I felt more confident with cats to go for a rescue, her name is susie, my only Girl out of all my pets (2 dogs as well both boys), she is a pretty all black girl, she actually had a proper play for the first time earlier and she's sat on my knee right now, she saw an opening on my knee when the others got up and I've got teddys on my chest :-) didn't realize she was a lot older then the kittens but I think she's probably more active then the others and definetly more fiesty lol
Yeah I got a little carried away with litter trays, house has so many rooms and needed a few in each, at first oliver my Persian would use 2 trays one for weeks and one for pops but he's not fussy now and then bought loads when I got Susie as she wasn't using the litter tray and tested out different types of trays and litters to see which she preferred. Think she likes having a few trays to chose from as if the others use array in the night and I'm asleep so can't scoop it out she seems to get upset so the choice helps. I've made a few adaptations to furnitures to hide some of the trays in which they seem to love :-)