Help! Think ive given my cats to a hoarder

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
stan the cat
New Cat Chatter

Help! Think ive given my cats to a hoarder

Post by stan the cat »

I took in a stray a while back, she was pregnant. I gave her the best care and looked after her and her babies. I had to rehome her becauseshe chased my girlie cats all the time in a nasty way. I searched for weeks to find her a best home. I got information through a friend about a lady who would take her, When she found out about the kittens she said she'd take them too. I was reluctant as I was originally keeping the kittens. But thought if it would help the mum cat settle id let her have them. Iv since found out she already has 12 cats so I asked if she would give them back as I made a mistake as I wouldn't have rehomed them with 12 adults, plus I missed the kitties loads and want the best for all. She also losty mum cat on the second day although she reassured me she was back. Now she has stopped messaging me and I have no way of knowing of their living conditions. Ive been told that that many cats can lead to health conditions and disease. So worried.. what could I do to get them back??
KittyCatKate
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Help! Think ive given my cats to a hoarder

Post by KittyCatKate »

Do you have any proof that you had the cats prior to giving them to her? Unfortunately, because you willingly gave them to her, it is not likely you will get them back. If she does own 12 cats and it is in poor conditions (you have to know for sure!!) you can report her. I know a woman who owns 14 cats but you wouldn't know it. She takes great care of them and has a super clean, huge home. Even has a whole enclosure off the side of the house for them to come and go outside safely.

I only consider it hoarding when the person can't properly meet the needs of the cats OR doesn't have the room. You can be a hoarder with 5 cats, but another person might not be with 10. It all depends.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Kate - having a number of cats is not necessarily a problem, it all depends on the level of care. I have always had around 5/6 happy and healthy cats. Don't go by hearsay, find out exactly what the situation is before jumping to conclusions.

If she is looking after them properly, then in a way I don't blame her for stopping contact as you have, in essence, insulted her by assuming the worst and demanding them back after she stepped in to help. If you rang her, apologised and explained, though, she might be prepared to have a chat about things - it's worth a try. Good luck.
Galyna Chekan
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Galyna Chekan »

Hi!
Frankly speaking, if you want them back, you should take them all back.
Maybe you really don't trust that woman. And 12 cats.....I think it is very hard to take care of so many of them.
You should definitely take them back))))