Found a cat - can I neuter??

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Deerleap
Returning Cat Chatter

Found a cat - can I neuter??

Post by Deerleap »

Hello everyone, i have been adopted by a cat over Xmas! He's very lovely but not chipped, I have advertised him on every site I can find but no response.
Now he hasn't been neutered and it's something I can't stand, can I have him neutered or will I get I trouble if the owners appear?

.... We also have a well known stray in the area who also hasn't been neutered - he is older and seems to have each meal at a different house! I was wondering if I could have him neutered too? Or will it make it too hard for him living 'wild'?

Thank you!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Found a cat - can I neuter??

Post by Kay »

some may disagree with me here, but I wouldn't hesitate to have intact free ranging toms neutered, regardless of whether they had an owner - there are too many unwanted kittens in the world already, and I salute you for your willingness to do something about it

and if there is an owner irresponsible enough not to have had it done, they are unlikely to have a close enough bond with the cat to notice a couple of things missing at the back
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi - pleased to meet a feral tom lover - they're great guys aren't they?

I definitely agree with Kay - neuter. They'll adapt and probably move in with you (have just written a thread on the subject btw - 'feral toms in the house'.)

As for the legal aspect...I'd had my Ali Kat neutered before I learned he seemed to have a (sort of) 'home' in the area. Omg I thought, please don't look under his tail! I phoned the RSPCA to ask what my position in law was, and was told that - if the cat had been living with me for a fortnight, I could regard him as mine and there should be no comeback. This may have altered but it's recognised by law that cats roam. Or so I understand.

Also you've advertised and got no news. There's a thread on here about finding a cat and advising fitting him/her with a (flimsy and breakable) paper collar with your phone no and words to the effect of, this cat's visiting me - is he/she yours? Which is a brilliant idea, though I couldn't have done this with my two lads - had to tempt them into the carrier with food; they weren't that touchable at that time.

Do hope your two boys are successfully neutered and homed with you :)
honeychild
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by honeychild »

Well done you for taking a pro active interest in these boys. Ive tamed, trapped and owned many ferals over the years. An occasional stray,not part of the colony has on occasion been caught and if no microchip, he would be neutered.Its thekindest thing you can do. If youve a mind to keeping them why not have them microchipped, possibly the only legal proof of ownership.. Love your story lilith x
Deerleap
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Deerleap »

Thank you very much!
I already have 2 cats, so am happy to keep one of the toms if necessary... But just wouldn't be able to fit another in!
Do you think the mature tom would cope living out, with his various meals supplied and a shed to nap in - without his testicles? Or would he then calm and want a snuggly home? It's just he would be more difficult, spraying all over etc. :-/
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I'm sure the older lad will carry on doing his outdoor rounds as long as food is on offer - the only difference will be he will not be looking for females in season, and not fighting other toms over them

your other cats will no doubt get used to seeing him around, and should he become too old or frail for the outdoor life, you will find it easier to bring him in, at least overnight, anyway - I'd personally adopt a wait and see attitude with him, as it sounds as if he'll do fine as things are, but without his appendages
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

We have a stray we call Felix. He turns up from time to time and hangs around for a few days. A couple of years ago he appeared with a scratched face and torn ear. We borrowed a trap from the local vet. He was trapped, neutered, had his ear fixed and was given antibiotics.

Being neutered doesn't appear to have changed him at all - he still manages to annoy Purdy (just by existing :lol: )
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'd get them done too. My ex-stray tom, Daz, is now a cuddly mummy's boy but has kept his stray cat hunting and scavenging habits. Good on you. :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

honeychild wrote: Love your story lilith x
Thanks honeychild :)

Again good luck with the lads, deerleap - hope they settle with you and your cats - cats are very good at adapting to and organising themselves and I'm sure these will find the right solution :)