Urgent hope you can help

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
hope1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Urgent hope you can help

Post by hope1 »

Hi
Over the month seen a poorly looking cat thought it had home. But recently seen it out a lot looking worse and shaking with cold and scabby. Took him in held him in vestebule with my cats electric blanket called RSPCA. They took him to vets whom held him in overnight as he has a bad skin condition due to fleas. Now what I didn't know was that if a cat tests for feline HIV they put em down unless someone is willing to adopt him. Now I know plenty of animal shelters whom will take cat in with this condition for re-homing and won't put them down as they can live a very happy long life.

If I would have known that I would never of surrendered him to the RSPCA. They won't let me take him as I have to healthy indoor cats which I understand and I would not want to risk that. But even though I have found a shelter whom is willing to take him they are still saying that it is not their policy to let cat be handed in what they call " passed around charities".

The only way they will not put this cat down is if a person is willing to adopt him from them and undergo a house check otherwise he will be put to sleep. Also they say that they will not keep him much longer as he is a risk.

Please if anyone knows of anyone or is interested in adopting this fella please contact me.
He is very pretty white and ginger approx 5 years old and very friendly and purry

Many thanks
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Urgent hope you can help

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm so angry, I don't know where to start :x - Not at you, I hasten to add, with the RSPCA and their prehistoric attitude to FIV and holier than thou attitude to re-homing. (once had a run in with them over re-homing a dog - but don't get me started on that)

I have a FIV+ cat - Bobby, my avatar, my other 4 are 'healthy' whatever that means. The virus has a VERY short life (seconds) outside the body and can only be transmitted (in the normal course of events) by a deep bite.

As for having the perfect home - who does? Rant over!

Where are you? Can the shelter offering him a place approach the RSPCA? Perhaps Bob at 'Catwork' can advise you. He is brilliant and a wealth of info on FIV. You can find him on http://www.FIVcats.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for the ramble, best of luck. Let us know how you go on, please. x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with everything said above - that's appalling. What area are you in?

Is the cat still with the vet, or now with the RSPCA? I've heard of sympathetic vet nurses smuggling cats out of the back door in this situation before now ...... (I didn't say that). ;)
hope1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by hope1 »

Hi

I am in Manchester

The lad is held at RSPCA vets Salford Manchester.
Been trying all day only one lead and promise of shelter.

I agree such a idiotic outlook to preserving life I am so peeved I let them take him. Thanks for the web site will look into that now
hope1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by hope1 »

Crewella wrote:I agree with everything said above - that's appalling. What area are you in?

Is the cat still with the vet, or now with the RSPCA? I've heard of sympathetic vet nurses smuggling cats out of the back door in this situation before now ...... (I didn't say that). ;)
Hi

I am in Manchester

I agree such a idiotic outlook to preserving life I am so peeved I let them take him. Thanks for the web site will look into that now
hope1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by hope1 »

bobbys girl wrote:I'm so angry, I don't know where to start :x - Not at you, I hasten to add, with the RSPCA and their prehistoric attitude to FIV and holier than thou attitude to re-homing. (once had a run in with them over re-homing a dog - but don't get me started on that)

I have a FIV+ cat - Bobby, my avatar, my other 4 are 'healthy' whatever that means. The virus has a VERY short life (seconds) outside the body and can only be transmitted (in the normal course of events) by a deep bite.

As for having the perfect home - who does? Rant over!

Where are you? Can the shelter offering him a place approach the RSPCA? Perhaps Bob at 'Catwork' can advise you. He is brilliant and a wealth of info on FIV. You can find him on http://www.FIVcats.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for the ramble, best of luck. Let us know how you go on, please. x
Hi

I am in Manchester

hope1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by hope1 »

I have found a shelter but they can not take him straight away but will have him. The problem is RSPCA is unwilling to hold him till then.

If there is anyone whom want to adopt/ foster till shelter is ready or has any further contact help info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Really wish I could help but NI is not much use to you. SO frustrating. :(
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Sadly I'm London area and little use either. :(
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

I'm in Wakefield west Yorks - a good distance away but the storms are due to blow out tonight (paws crossed.)

I've got experience of ferals and my last feral lad left us over a year ago; my girls were ok with him and even my naughty youngest cat adored him. I know what it's like, settling a new cat in though.

I've had cats since I was 4 (I'm 62) and have a lot of experience with nursing (vets used to expect the owner to be the veterinary nurse) and geriatrics too. I've also studied up on FIV.

My only problem - no transport, but if you can possibly provide the transport, I'll provide the home. This is a small (chaotic lol) household but loads of supplies of food, litter and love - and a secure garden (can post you pics.) I'm here just about 24/7. I'll post my email address up on my profile - might have to put it under 'occupation' and if this offer's any use to you, let me know :)

If not, do hope you get this lad settled asap, good luck.

Edit - realise RSPCA strictures re FIV - but I once had a Siamese queen who had a dodgy FIV test - made me stop breeding - but she and the cats she lived with all reached double figures - one was 18. I think the RSPCA is confusing this with FeLV.
hope1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by hope1 »

Lilith wrote:I'm in Wakefield west Yorks - a good distance away but the storms are due to blow out tonight (paws crossed.)

I've got experience of ferals and my last feral lad left us over a year ago; my girls were ok with him and even my naughty youngest cat adored him. I know what it's like, settling a new cat in though.

I've had cats since I was 4 (I'm 62) and have a lot of experience with nursing (vets used to expect the owner to be the veterinary nurse) and geriatrics too. I've also studied up on FIV.

My only problem - no transport, but if you can possibly provide the transport, I'll provide the home. This is a small (chaotic lol) household but loads of supplies of food, litter and love - and a secure garden (can post you pics.) I'm here just about 24/7. I'll post my email address up on my profile - might have to put it under 'occupation' and if this offer's any use to you, let me know :)

If not, do hope you get this lad settled asap, good luck.

Edit - realise RSPCA strictures re FIV - but I once had a Siamese queen who had a dodgy FIV test - made me stop breeding - but she and the cats she lived with all reached double figures - one was 18. I think the RSPCA is confusing this with FeLV.
Hi Lilith

I have inboxed you.If possible can we speak tonight as it is DDay for the little fella tomorrow
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

All fingers and paws crossed that you can sort out something for this little fella. Me and my OH are praying for a good outcome. x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi there hope1 - great to talk and paws crossed for a good outcome - though as we agreed the RSPCA may insist on a one-to-one home with no other cats - anybody out there if this is the case???

But would be very glad if they relent and let me take him - again, paws crossed! :)

Emily, Mouse and Molly send good wishes and good luck!
hope1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by hope1 »

Hi all
Just a wee update: a lovely lady Lilith has offered a loving home to the cat. The only potential problem is if the RSPCA refuses this as there is already cats in the house.

So if possible can we still keep this thread open to a household whom has no cats that might be interested just as a back up in case the RSPCA object to this generous ladies offer of a forever home.

Its still a challenging situation as to the success to saving this little fella

Thanks everyone
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I've just posted a response to someone who is thinking of offering a home to a FIV cat. Look on 'new posts' and you will find her/him. Just a thought!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Everything crossed that this works out.

I have a friend who also has healthy cats who had to build a run in her garden for an FIV cat when in a similar situation with one of the large charities - it's the only way they would allow her to keep him. :roll:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

The irony is that my two older girls were feral since birth until they moved in with me - and Molly's beginnings are a bit dubious - not that I'm rushing them off to the vet's to get blood tested - and we know how unreliable the FIV test can be!

Here's hoping this lad can escape from the custody of the RSPCA and get himself a proper home - with me or someone else - paws crossed, yet again...

Good luck hope1 and ginger tom - you already have a name but I'm not tempting providence lol :)
hope1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by hope1 »

Lilith wrote:Hi there hope1 - great to talk and paws crossed for a good outcome - though as we agreed the RSPCA may insist on a one-to-one home with no other cats - anybody out there if this is the case???

But would be very glad if they relent and let me take him - again, paws crossed! :)

Emily, Mouse and Molly send good wishes and good luck!
Hi Lilith

just spoke with them upon opening time 07.30 hit em with everything i've got gave em four options. Hes still there. Vet is gonna ring me back when she comes out of surgery.

Fingers paws and tails crossed. Goodness this is nerve racking
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

All paws here crossed too.

And bless you for trying so hard for him. xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi there hope1 - have just emailed you but posting on here in case my broadband's wonky, which it is from time to time. You know I've never thought to ask you - is he a neuter or an entire tom? If he's entire that's not a problem - I've had feral toms join the household in the past and had them neutered - one lad went on spraying for a while, the other was perfectly clean.

I imagine the vet won't be out of surgery till 11-12. You must be worn out! Fingers crossed for you both! :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi, hope1 - I'm leaving your phone free in case you're still waiting for a call - but have you heard anything yet? Hope all is ok.
hope1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by hope1 »

Hi Everyone

Just a very quick update will go into details asap. Good NEWS! I have the little fella I managed to get him out of the RSPCA so he is safe. He is currently curled up in his comfy bed full of food snoozing his head off he fell asleep in my arms purring earlier.

Words do not convey my gratitude and appreciation for all the support and offers of help which spurred me on amazing result thank you all soooo much.

Will update asap so tired.

Catch up soon next phase operation forever home :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

HURRRAAAYY! My OH says you are his hero! Well done you. That has made my day. :D :D :D

many (hugs) to you and fusses to the very lucky little boy.

It comes to something when we have to 'rescue' a cat FROM the RSPCA! :?
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

This is great news. So pleased and he certainly sounds very relaxed and happy with a full tummy :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah that's great! (Knew there'd be news as soon as I went for a catnap lol!)

So very very glad he's safe! Give him a big love from me :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I've been out all night and I came straight here to look! So pleased you managed to get him! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Any more news on your 'rescued' rescue? My OH was asking about him this afternoon.
hope1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by hope1 »

Hi All

Update on the little rescue fella.

A prospective lady offering him a forever home came to have a look at him and fell in love with instantly. She knows he is a FIV cat and he may need a little medical help and is happy to take him on.

I found her through a brilliant and dedicated through and through cat shelter, she had been on their waiting list for a while and had already been vetted. When I met her I was totally put at ease that she was a caring lady and would spoil the little fella.

I miss him as he is so adorable and had such an inquisitive trusting and loving way about him. I am so happy beyond words at the outcome of this I could not have been better. I am amazed at the support of help information and even offer of more than one home for him.

My two cats are made up that there is no impostor lurking in the spare bedroom. They are so funny clearly evident they have memories like gold fish each morning upon hearing a meow from said room they adopted the most impressive startled face. So all are happy

Take care toodle pips
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's just brilliant, big hug to you for fighting so hard for him, weldone! :)l
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Well done you! My OH said 'Brilliant!' Thank you for trying so hard for him. I am so pleased that it has worked out so well. :D