Would like to adopt 2 kittens into a flat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
holidayspirit
New Cat Chatter

Would like to adopt 2 kittens into a flat

Post by holidayspirit »

Hi there

I would love to adopt 2 kittens into the flat I've just bought. I'm finding this very difficult because the local catteries and homes don't allow adoption into flats. Can someone here please help?

I've had cats almost all my life and love them, but have been apart from them for the last few years because of being a recent graduate in houseshares. Now that I've just bought a flat I'd like to get cats again.

I don't like the idea that they'll be trapped all day in a flat, but I think there are ways around that. I plan to take them walking outside frequently in a local park. I'm not sure how the cat experts on this forum feel about that, but I'd like to try. I have seen a friend do some excellent training with their new kitten and I plan to invest time in training as well.

I'd like to ask for some help and advice:
  1. Does anyone know of 2 kittens in the London area who need homes?
    Can anyone offer advice in adopting kittens to a flat?
    What does the forum feel about outdoor walks for cats? (On a collar and lead, once trained.)
Thanks for the help.
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: Would like to adopt 2 kittens into a flat

Post by Cat-FAQ »

The following links might be useful for you, if you haven’t already seen them:
Cat Chat’s ‘Cats Needing Homes’ section: http://www.catchat.org/shelter_centre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or, find your local rescue shelters here: http://www.catchat.org/adoption" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, some good tips here to keep indoor cats happy: http://www.knowyourcat.info/getcat/indoorcats.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope that helps.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Oh im also dying to know opinions on walking a cat. (on a lead or harness). I,l check back in later
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

In my experience it's not a good idea. Bobby hated it! Though when friends of ours moved to Spain they got their cat used to a harness before they went so they could walk her every time they stopped (they went overland like wild west pioneers!)

I think a lead and harness is OK as a short-term thing say, if you were moving house. But not good long-term. With a dog on a lead, if they were frightened they (as pack animals) would come to you. A cat would just want to run off and hide.
rsz_029(2).jpg
Not a happy bunny!
(244.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Bob ran to this plant saucer and refused to come out. :roll: