Are we suitable?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
littlelisa
New Cat Chatter

Are we suitable?

Post by littlelisa »

Hi,

I have been seriously considering getting a cat for a while now, I live in a flat on the 7th floor with my 12 year old son. We both would absolutely love a cat but have never had one before. We have had hamsters in the past and are excellent pet owners but now would like to have a more long term pet as its heartbreaking when pets have short life spans :( and we feel we are ready for a bigger commitment.

I am at work all day and my son at school and being on the 7th floor the cat would have to be an indoor cat alone for half the day, which makes me question whether we would be suitable for one. When we are home though we have lots of time for attention and my son being 12 has already planned which toys he would get to play with the cat! I also have the finances to buy various scratch posts and trees and whatever it needs. So my question is.. Are we suitable?

Any advice would be great. Thank you!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Are we suitable?

Post by Kay »

I am not as well equipped to answer your question as someone who fosters or works in rescue, but I would say what you can offer would be very suitable for an older fairly sedate cat, especially if you can find one used to being an indoor cat - a kitten or really young cat would be more likely to be bored being on their own for part of the day, and unable to access the outside world

if you go through a rescue you will have a home visit to assess what sort of cat would be suitable for you, and will be able to discuss all the pros and cons with the home visitor
littlelisa
New Cat Chatter

Post by littlelisa »

Thats exactly the sort of advice I am after. I am unsure of age, sex, breed etc that is suitable to be an indoor cat. Thank you, I will contact my local shelter instead of buying a new kitten.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Kay, there are also cats with various problems, some with hearing or vision impairments or physical disability that are perfectly healthy but vulnerable and might be very suitable for an indoor home. Your local rescues should be able to help and advise - good on you for considering a rescue cat.

As a rule, older cats are more sedate and happier to sleep all day whilst you're out, or you might perhaps consider two to keep each other company, though that is very general - each cat is an individual.

You sound ideal, within the limits you have seen yourself, to me, by the way. :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Perhaps there is a shelter that has two older cats that need to be rehomed together. Many folks want one, younger cat or kitten. Taking two slightly older ones, you could be the answer to someones prayers! :D

You have obviously thought about this and sound like you could offer some cat/cats a loving, forever home. Good for you.