What cat would be compatible?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

What cat would be compatible?

Post by Joanne_ »

After the loss of two cats in 3 weeks we are wanting to get another cat that will get on with our remaining cat. Ted is around 3 and is very hyper, chews things, claws things etc and loves playing. He was fine with our other two cats(Jimmy and Erik) who were here before he came to us however if he sees another cat in our garden he turns into a full blown psycho lol. Any idea why? Do you think he would act this way if we brought a cat home? I was unsure if a younger cat maybe a kitten would make him feel less threatened? Also since he is used to male cats we thought sticking to a male would be best. Please share your opinions. Thanks=]
dtmark
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: What cat would be compatible?

Post by dtmark »

With regard to other cats in the garden, he's just protecting his territory.

When we got our second cat we thought we'd done everything right - we had a big male, we got a small female. We did all the scent exchanges, the safe-room and so on.

It took about four months before she would be in the same room as him. A year before they could both sit side by side on the sofa. And even then it didn't happen often.

However she had never lived with another cat before. The problem was not with him, but with her.

I am not sure that I understand cat psychology well enough to state this as fact but I think it's a bit random, a bit hit and miss as to whether any two given cats will be prepared to live together.

The key part however is - I'd suggest - to make sure that the newcomer has lived with other cats, and I would guess a small male is your best bet - that your reasoning is correct.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: What cat would be compatible?

Post by Crewella »

I too would go with a young neutered male, but speak to the rescue and make sure he is friendly with other cats. I've collected a group of 4 males over the last few years, and they have all settled down reasonably well together. Only Grumpy Nellie, the lone female, really isn't ever interested in interacting, though thankfully most have got the message and leave her be, which suits her fine - she doesn't mind them around, just doesn't want much to do with them.

I do agree that all cats are individuals, though - the above is very much a generalisation.