Home inspection-not sure what to expect!

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Serianas
Returning Cat Chatter

Home inspection-not sure what to expect!

Post by Serianas »

Hi guys,

Ok so I recently posted about losing our beloved Salem last week. This weekend we found a new, beautiful young lady to bring into our lives through the RSPCA, pending a home check. Im very unsure of what to expect, as we have never adopted a cat by this method before. Could any kind person shed a little light on what to expect, or what I need to do?

Thanks,

B
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Home inspection-not sure what to expect!

Post by greenkitty »

Please don't worry about this, it's not a test and they're not trying to catch you out! They'll want to know that you can provide the right home for the cat you've chosen (i.e. not putting a nervous cat in with a house full of boisterous children), that you're educated about health (when to take to the vets), vaccinations, what to feed them, what provisions you'll make if you go on holiday, that kind of thing. I used to do home checks for the CP and I'd always go with my gut instinct, would I leave my own cats in this home. I'm sure you'll be fine, good luck and remember to come back and introduce us to your new arrival!
Serianas
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Serianas »

Phew big weight off my mind :) we just really have fallen for this puss, and she chose us I reckon. However I need time to tidy because I have left things go a little since Salem began to get sick on Christmas eve... Its embarrassing, but I need to tidy alot...
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Good Luck!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hmm....I've known a home where they were so houseproud that the husband joked about his wife not letting callers in if the washing up wasn't done. But the animals' water bowl could have done with a scrub and they put off taking the cat to the vet for treatment...wouldn't even give her a tray though she was very elderly; she spent most of her time outside, poor little bag of bones. They could afford holidays, a car each.

I knew another, very glamorous home, like something out of 'Good Housekeeping' where the cats, who were clearly 'accessories', from my observation, got little affection or peace.

I don't mean to have a 'bitch' here (can I say that word lol?) But I do think it's love and basics attended to that matter in a home. Obviously a decent level of cleanliness and tidiness, but mainly from the cat's point of view. A bit of dust or untidiness is nothing - long as there's a clean litter tray and bowls, vet bills provided for and above all, commonsense, affection and kindness, which I'm sure you can offer in abundance.

I know I'm biased because it's sometimes organised (or disorganised) chaos in my house lol. But whatever I do or don't do, the cats and snakes get their needs seen to (I hope!) even if I forget about the ripped curtains or the lovely confetti that Molly my paper shredder has left on the hearthrug lol.

Good luck with the 'house check' and hope to see pics of your new girl soon :)
Serianas
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Serianas »

Thanks everyone! It has been scheduled for Thursday as I am going to flex off of work and go see Wheetabix in the aft, after inspection.

After what we have just been through with Salem we should be cat experts lol. There are still a few clumps of hair stuck in the blinds, and we will find tumbleweeds of fluff for generations to come, as he was such a hairy lad. She will be pampered to death (well, not really cos that defeats the object), as we live for our animals, having 5 lizards, 2 snakes and a loosley termed horse... more like 14hh New Forest hippo at the moment with a mane like he weed on the electric fence. Seriously his goal in life is to be the muddiest hes ever been, ever!

They are our children so I hope that comes across well, I dont do so well under scrutiny.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah so you've got some smoothies (as opposed to furries) too? Cool! I love snakes - got 15!

'Mane like he weed on the electric fence' LOL! :lol:

Ah I know how you feel - I can write ok but if anyone visits the house I'm tonguetied...in your place I'd be doing my nut at the prospect of being checked up on.

I'm sure everything will go ok but good luck and best wishes for Thursday anyway and hope that Wheetabix is soon at home with you - blimey, if the RSPCA pass up a home like this, what DO they want? :)
Serianas
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Serianas »

Hopefully this will work but this should be a pic of pony! Do no let the doe eyes fool you, he is as cheeky as the day is long!

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn11 ... 36_Pro.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our two snakes are like chalk and cheese, both corns, both girls, both high bred morphs... one likes to escape, the other will wait politely for you to shut the door. One hates attention, the other I wear like a braclet and she will happily stay there. People dont think they have personality but they really do!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, he's great! Gorgeous guy :)

Ah, I have corns too - and they're cheeky, and comedians. I have a whopping great gopher snake who does her rattlesnake impression and then climbs into my top and sleeps for hours, and royal pythons...my first was Shahi (Urdu for 'royal' - naturally) and he does the doe-eyed look when he wants his own way lol.

Again good luck about tomorrow - but don't think you've anything to fear :)
Serianas
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Serianas »

I would like to introduce everyone to the newest member of our family (whom we pick up on Saturday).... Little Miss Weetabix!

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn11 ... etabix.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww she's lovely!

Congrats!!!!!! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Awww she's very sweet - congrats! :D

The visit obviously went OK. :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

those ears spell trouble to me

trouble of the nicest sort, of course ;)
Serianas
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Serianas »

Yep home visit was done by a very sweet old lady that just asked if I had cats before, and she saw our road wasnt busy. By the time I had gotten to the shelter in the aft she had already rang them!

Weetabix is a real sweetie... they said she was a shy puss but the first time we met she marched up to me and headbumped my hand! Then yesterday through the meet and greet, she would nudge me if i had the audacity to stop stroking her. She going to rule the roost i can just tell!

Though this weekend is busy, we have to pick up Salems ashes and bury them before we pick her up. Will be a weird day of loads of emotions but will be worth it... I had a very strange dream where I let Salem out of a cage someone was keeping him in and he headbumped weetabix... that can only mean he approves right?
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/s ... wvBYRYL.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yup - she's chosen you all right! :D

I have the greatest belief in dreams, and that sounds like a good one. They do stay about - one of my cats Sulah was run over - and for months afterwards her daughter Kate jumped over an invisible cat on the hearthrug.

A good home should definitely be inherited by another cat in need.

Welcome home in advance little Weetabix! :D

ps to anyone wondering (as I would do!) I got Sulah in the 1970s from a rescue centre and let her have kittens - wouldn't do that now, and did have the sense to get her and Katie spayed afterwards :)