need advice about adopting a cat and introducing to dog

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
nikkilouise89
New Cat Chatter

need advice about adopting a cat and introducing to dog

Post by nikkilouise89 »

Hi everyone,

im planning on adopting a cat but I'm worried about introducing him or her to my parents dog who comes round a few times a week. He is very friendly but I'm pretty sure he would get overly excited by a cat(wanting to play) and this may freak the cat out. I don't know wether its best to get a kitten so it would easily get used to the dog visits? I would ideally like to rescue a cat though. Maybe a cat who is known to be good around dogs?

any advice would be great!

thanks
Nikki
JacquiA
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: need advice about adopting a cat and introducing to dog

Post by JacquiA »

Not sure I can offer much help but it would be worth letting the shelter know that you need a 'dog-friendly' cat? And how is the dog with cats? My parents had an elderly dog we attempted to introduce to our two rescue cats (who we were told were dog-friendly) ... they were having none of it though and used to disappear at the first sign of Sam coming! It wasn't really a problem as Sam was very old and not interested in the cats at all, and our two just went into hiding whilst he was here. Although at Christmas time Tilly seemed to want to make friends with Sam ... he passed away a week later - I wonder if she knew?? Anyway, as I said not much help but it can be worked around if you're determined! Good luck!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: need advice about adopting a cat and introducing to dog

Post by Kay »

how long will the visits last? if only a few hours I don't see why you shouldn't shut the cat away with a litter tray and food while the dog is in the house - I wouldn't risk letting them meet until the cat is totally at home with you, and even then the dog should be kept on a lead

you will have to keep him or her indoors for several weeks at first anyway