Advice Needed For Re-homed cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Miriam
New Cat Chatter

Advice Needed For Re-homed cat

Post by Miriam »

Hi there,

I have adopted a 5 year old male. He has confined himself mainly to the bedroom and I have managed to get home to eat a bit but he hasn't used the litter tray at all since I brought him home Tuesday night. He used to go outdoors previously and so I really don't know what to do.

Any advice?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice Needed For Re-homed cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi and congrats on your new cat and good on yer for adopting him.

I've just read a post by another member whose adopted rescue waited a day or two to wee etc. I think he's just feeling strange and he'll go when he feels more confident. There's always a chance he might have weed in a dark corner but it's amazing how good even ferals can be in the house - even if they've never seen a tray before, they'll find it and use it. I once read that some adult cats only wee once a day...ouch!

It's very normal for a cat or kitten to hide away in a new home but then they come out of their shell - give him a few days and he'll be following you about and getting cheeky and generally making himself a total nuisance lol :)
Miriam
New Cat Chatter

Post by Miriam »

Thanks for the advice. I have put a litter tray upstairs so that he doesn't have to look far (even if it is in the way at the moment). I think we need to be patient and wait for him to trust us. He hasn't had a great start to his life so once he realises what he now has he should be delighted :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

you could try putting some sifted garden soil on top of the litter if he still won't use it, as he would presumably find the smell more familar to him

it wouldn't be something you'd have to do for long, once he got used to the texture and smell of the litter
Miriam
New Cat Chatter

Post by Miriam »

Thanks Kay. I might try that in the morning once it's light to go and dig some soil!
Miriam
New Cat Chatter

Post by Miriam »

Just thought I would say that Sid has used his litter tray several times now....I was just being a worried mum!! Thanks for the advice :)
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Yay! Hurrah for a successful pee or poo :twisted:

:lol: :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That's good news, I hope he continues to settle in well. Congrats on your new boy! :)