Settling in adult ragdoll

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Scrumhalf
New Cat Chatter

Settling in adult ragdoll

Post by Scrumhalf »

We have just got a 20 month Ragdoll. We were not planning on getting one for a couple of months as we go on holidays for 5 days in 6 weeks time but we rehomed him as the lady who owned him is really poorly and can no longer look after him. He came home with us last night and even though he is not used to children our four year old has been so gentle with him. He has a bolt hole under the sofa but we try and take him out every three or four hours and give him some attention which he is fine with for ten minutes then returns to under the sofa. He is not yet eating and drinking (maybe a tiny bit when we were in bed). Any tips for trying to aid the settling in, are we better leaving him under the sofa until he wishes to come out. Also, there is an amazing cattery up the road which we have used for previous ragdolls but as this one is a rehome, when we go away would any one recommend a cattery only six weeks after a rehome or would you pay someone to come in to our home and feed and spend some time each day. Please be kind as this is not a decision we have taken lightly rehoming six weeks prior to our holiday but circumstances meant that we felt this rehome was the right choice rather than a kitten.
Thanks in advance
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Settling in adult ragdoll

Post by Crewella »

You're right, it's not ideal, but I can understand why you've gone ahead as you have. He needed to go somewhere and, in the long term, I'm sure it will be fine.

I'd leave him be under the sofa and let him come out and come to you in his own time - pulling him out from where he feels safe will only stress him further. It's very common for cats to hide and not eat for the first day or two in a new home.

He should be pretty settled by the time you go away, but in the circumstances I think I would still go to the cattery. You know they will take good care of him there, and you're probably better off going with something tried and tested. I wouldn't let him out until you're back and he's settled in again after a few more weeks.

Good luck, and congrats on rehoming your new boy. :)
Scrumhalf
New Cat Chatter

Post by Scrumhalf »

Thank you for your kind comment. He has now had a little look around and seems to have found a new hiding place in the bedroom which is better as I was concerned he was going to get stuck under the sofa as he is a very large Ragdoll. I think the cattery may be the best option too as we already have a good relationship with the owner and know he will be in safe hands, always good to sound it out with other cat owners too. My concern was that the change may stress him out but fingers crossed he will settle in a few days and start eating and showing his beautiful face more often. He is going to be a house cat as ragdolls do not seem to adapt well to outside and we are building him a little run for the garden which will be enclosed so he can be outside when we are but safe from harm. Thanks again for your reply :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

you sound like the perfect new family for this boy, and I hope he rewards you with lots of affection - when he's ready, of course

I certainly wouldn't risk anyone coming in whilst you're away, just in case he managed to escape, as of course he wouldn't know his surroundings at all
Scrumhalf
New Cat Chatter

Post by Scrumhalf »

Thank you. OK I think that is decision made. Cattery is the best and safest option and it also means he doesn't get someone else coming into our home and him thinking we have deserted him. Thanks again for the comments. Fingers crossed with lots of love, attention and time this handsome lad will come out of his shell :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm sure he will. Kay's right, I think he's landed on his paws with you! :D
EvaGR
New Cat Chatter

Post by EvaGR »

Hi! I've encountered the same problem. Our Ragdoll Reggie hides under the sofa and prefers to spend time alone. As far as I understood, Ragdolls get along well with other pets (source: https://catspurfection.com/ragdoll-cat-price.html), but we have a Sphynx Sophie and he doesn't want to communicate with her. Every time he sees her, he hisses. What could be the problem? As far as I understand, they are friendly by nature?