Facebook pets for sale and other free ads

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Facebook pets for sale and other free ads

Post by Suzynick »

I have 2 cats and 2 rabbits, and prior to Easter I signed up to all these facebook pets for sale and rehoming pages as I was concerned about rabbits being advertised as Easter presents :O( Well, Easter has gone and I am still regularly checking these pages as I am astounded to how many of these pages there are, even in just my home county!

I have tried encouraging people to use rescue centres etc for both rehoming and perhaps trying to rehome their pet as opposed to either giving them away or for cheap on facebook, why!? And have also attempted to mention neutering to a few people, though haven't had much joy on this one, the last person I replied to was Russian and had no idea what I was talking about, wonderful!

Anyone else take a pro-active approach? I just feel like I need to do something as there are just too many unwanted animals in this world :O(
Karen+Ted
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Facebook pets for sale and other free ads

Post by Karen+Ted »

I know where you are coming from. I have two cats, but also two horses, one being a miniature. There are so many people 'selling' their youngstock as they are downsizing etc - the reason for selling cheaper when in reality they are just overbreeding. The problem is baby animals are cute and funny, and then they grow up and become a responsibility - lets face it some humans have trouble looking after themselves. It is particularly more difficult with cats because they roam and can find their own 'entertainment' when not spayed. I wish I could change the culture.
cusackcat
New Cat Chatter

Post by cusackcat »

Yes, myself and others around the UK watch for free to good home posts on Facebook and Gumtree etc. and we always attempt to take in the animal to ensure its safety. It's so horrifying the ignorance of some people who aren't even interested in doing homechecks or taking up volunteer homechecker offers.

Very happy to see you're doing this too, keep up the good work.
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Baggypants »

I know that a lot of the ads on Scumtree - so it will be the same elsewhere - are scams. They say pets free to good home and you just have to pay the delivery charge... guess what happens.... you pay and nothing ever arrives. There are millions of them because they know stupid people want to buy pets cheaply rather than go to Rescue Centres.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Suzynick »

Sorry for the late reply to the posts, I've been on holiday :D However we had WI-FI in our cottage so I was still on FB responding to several posts....happy to report though that one FB bunny that was due to go for £40 inc a small cage has now been happily bonded with a neutered female bunny thanks to my interference! :D The girl who posted it said he wasn't getting on with her other rabbit, and when I asked why it seemed she had just put them together in a large space and due to her not having had a couple of rabbits before, she assumed that they were not ever going to get along. She tried again and success! And her for sale post was removed so I am quite pleased about that!

Yes I agree baby animals are very cute, perhaps too cute! There have been a lot of postings with kittens for sale, and just as many if not more posts from people wanting a kitten. I just want to post to say that cute kitten may live till its about 20, and the many problems that can arise from having a cat. Do they not think this far ahead? We recently had a major flea infestation in the house despite my cats being flea treated monthly, Alfie has some internal parasite which wasn't covered by his worming tablets, Storm regularly sprays the house, Alfie has to go out for walks on a harness, we've had cat bites, mangled feet and all sorts over the last 10 years!!!

Baggypants, I never knew about that scam. how low do some people go?

cusackcat is this something I can assist with for FB? I always try to offer some advice but if you have something specific that you follow then I would be happy responding to posts in Northamptonshire.