advice needed concerning newly adopted cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
kerrylynne
New Cat Chatter

advice needed concerning newly adopted cat

Post by kerrylynne »

We have had our adopted Persian, 4 year old male cat for 3 days now and he still hasn't urinated.
We have created his safe place in our spare bedroom with his bed, litter tray and feeding bowls that are all from his previous home so are familiar to him.
I'm not too concerned that he hasn't eaten but am getting really worried that he still hasn't urinated.
Any advice please.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: advice needed concerning newly adopted cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi and congrats on your new boy.

It isn't unusual for a new cat to stop weeing or passing a motion - although it might be a good idea to check that he hasn't weed in a corner somewhere. It's good that he's got all his personal belongings with him and a safe room. Three days is a bit long but I've read that feral cats often wee only once in 24 hours - my ex-ferals still don't 'go' very often and one of them usually visits her tray only once a day for both wee and motions - I realise your lad's not ex-feral but sounds like he's reverting to 'wary cat' mode - understandable in a new home, however caring.

Is he eating and drinking ok? (oops sorry -edit, I was so focused on the weeing thing I didn't take in that he's not eating - but again that's typical of a new cat!) He might be off his feed with the change. You could always try him with titbits such as prawns, tuna or chicken or something totally illegal such as a scrap of bacon (bacon is salty of course and bad for the kidneys but a shred can't hurt.) I have to say of course, for safety's sake, if he seems listless or in any way unwell, consult your vet (I'd ring them first to get an opinion; a good vet, or nurse or receptionist will be helpful) but personally I feel this is due to his change of home and understandable nervousness. I think he'll go soon.

Paws crossed for - NIAGARA! :)

And hope he starts eating soon too - again, barring illness, I think that's down to the newness of everything.
kerrylynne
New Cat Chatter

Post by kerrylynne »

Thank you so much for your reply and advice, fortunately, I have the great news that he has had a little wee today, I'm so relieved, think it's just going to take time for him to settle in. Thanks again for your advice.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Several of my foster cats have taken two or three days to use the tray and eat when they first got here. Fingers crossed that he's now starting to settle in.