Could I foster?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
George78em
New Cat Chatter

Could I foster?

Post by George78em »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site so forgive me if I'm posting in wrong place. Ive recently attempted to hand rear newborn orphaned kittens. Although sadly the kittens didn't survive I tried as hard as I could and committed myself completely to them. I must admit to be heartbroken after losing them but know that I would try again in a heartbeat. The question I have is, i have a couple of spare rooms now my oldest daughters have moved out and only work 2 hours twice a week so am home nearly all the time. Would I be able to offer any help to cat/ kittens in rescue. I have a 3 year old neutered female and recently saved an severly injured unneutered tom that is getting neutered in a couple of days. They don't go upstairs so keeping them separated wouldn't be a problem. It wasn't until I took on the kittens that I have read of the need for fosterers but don't really have much information about how to start this. I did tell the rescue centre that I collected the kittens from that I would be happy to help again but I don't know if they get many in that need fostering. Also what does fostering involve and how long do they usually need to stay? I really didn't realise that I could be of help by doing something that I would get so much happiness from. We live in the countryside and already this year have saved a Tom cat, a frog and 2 dove fledglings and nothing brings me more happiness.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Could I foster?

Post by booktigger »

It sounds like you have the space and time to foster, the main thing people find hard with fostering is to let them go. There probably aren't many times when hand rears are necessary but plenty of others need help. If the rescue you helped this time don't regularly need fosterers, there will be others in your area that do, I'd have a chat with them tomorrow to see what they need. As for how long, it's really how long is a piece of string. Pregnant cats will be at least 9 weeks, 7 week olds would hopefully be a couple of weeks, adults depend, some will be in and out, some can be months. If you get nervous cats, it depends how long they take to come round
George78em
New Cat Chatter

Post by George78em »

Thank you for your reply. I wouldn't mind taking in cats/ kittens of any age. I must admit I'd prefer taking them weeks old instead of days but would definitely take them that young again if required. Tomorrow I will ring the local rescue and maybe contact some more in the surrounding areas. I think this would be something I would really enjoy doing. I realise letting go would be difficult but hopefully it would get easier and I can't believe that I've found something I could really enjoy doing while helping them at the same time.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

All rescues are different - some run through a cattery and use few fosterers and some of the smaller rescues are almost entirely dependent on fosterers to look after the cats under their care. Do ring a few local rescues and have a chat with them, I'm sure you'll find one glad of your offer.

I started fostering for a small independent local rescue last year, and I've not regretted it for a second. I've had all sorts - oldies, ex-strays and even a tiny abandoned kitten, some with me only a few weeks and some with me for months. And one oldie with medical issues who ended up staying on as a 'permanent foster' as he fitted in well with my gang and was going to be very hard to find a home for.

I started with just one in a spare room (they have to be kept separate from your own animals), and have since set up an outdoor run with a little heated house so I can take a total of two foster cats (or a pair in the run at a push) at the moment.

As Booktigger says, the hardest part is letting them go again, but you just have to remember that as you move one on into a forever home, you can take in another cat in need. You can help more cats by taking them on temporarily than you can by keeping them.

It's hugely rewarding. Good luck in your search and let us know how you get on! :)