Advice needed about rehoming a stray, once domestic cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
nataliech
Returning Cat Chatter

Advice needed about rehoming a stray, once domestic cat

Post by nataliech »

Hi,

I lived in Manchester until about a year ago and whilst there I fed and gave outdoor shelter to a cat who was once owned by students, but who left him behind. despite living on the streets for at least a year, he was still loving and affectionate. I could not take the cat in myself because i was renting and my housemates had allergies. i tried to get him into a shelter but no one one take him in. eventually, i had to leave him behind once i moved.

now i have moved into a house where i can have pets and i really want to take him. i went back to the area a few weeks ago to see if he was there and he was, and he remembered me because he came over to me and was as affectionate as ever.

i would need to get him neutered/ microchipped/ de -flead etc at the vets which i dont mind doing. i just dont know if after over at least two years on the streets he would appreciate being taken into a home. i fear he may feel constricted and not warm to life as a domestic cat again.

any advice as to what i should do would be great! do you think it is possible that he would settle in to my home?

thanks
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Advice needed about rehoming a stray, once domestic cat

Post by Crewella »

I have three ex-strays living permanently with me, and another as a temporary foster. Not one of them seems anything but delighted to have a sofa to sleep on, a fire to warm their paws by and regular food!! I think he might struggle to live as an indoor only cat (though I do know of one or two ex-strays that rarely want to go out now they've been taken in) but as long as he gets some outdoor access I'm sure he'd be thrilled to come and live with you.

It's lovely that you've remembered him and want to take him on, good for you! :)
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Absolutely! He will love it!

I have a big lad who was living feral in the neighbourhood for some years and was too wild to be touched by the vet when I trapped him.... He was neutered and has now moved in. He likes his jaunts outside but he loves his home comforts and his grub best. He likes to sleep in cardboard boxes, especially with something soft in the bottom, and his favourite is an large old whicker flower basket. He looks so cute curled up at bedtime!

When you do get him into your home, you'll need to keep him indoors for several weeks to acclimatise to his new home. Make sure you have some cat toys - my boy loves anything on a string and a laser toy, which he goes crazy over, as he'll need play and activity. And a good scratching post or tree, of course!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I'd say he would be thrilled to finally have a home! Well done you for looking after him for so long! Now that you are gone, if nobody else is big enough to fill your shapes, he will be in dire straits.......

I would take him. Most of my gang of 30 cats came from these circumstances. If they aren't feral (wild) then they are THRILLED to finally have an actual couch and lap to sit on. Seriously, he will LOVE it!

You will need to keep him in for a good while, I would do a minimum of 6 weeks in his case. You may find he has no interest in going outside, but you might also have to watch him and just be aware of where he is when you are opening the front and back doors. Most cats take to a litter box immediately (even the wild ones!) and yes, you will have to neuter him as a priority (or your house will stink!).

I also recommend a feliway diffuser. They aren't cheap but they are utterly magical in how they relax a cat into a new environment.

Please take him home with you and keep us updated! W are all here to help and advise :-)