Advice needed

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
smithfamily
New Cat Chatter

Advice needed

Post by smithfamily »

If this is not the correct place to post this I do apologize, just let me know and I will move it.

My situation:

Our outdoor cat had kittens and I am in the process of re-homing them. My husband has decided he wants to keep one of the kittens as an indoor cat. Which is fine with me! I love kittens and cats. However our current house cat (Aloe) does not feel the same way.

My husband brought the kitten in so he could play with it and Aloe smelled him and did the normal hissing and growling. We took the kitten back out to the mother and ever since Aloe is acting out.

I read the articles online about separating by a door and rubbing a cloth on the kitten and giving it Aloe so she can smell and get used to the sent. but now she has stopped using her litter box and doesn't want anything to do with me.

I understand she is the dominant cat and she will protect "her" territory and it takes time. My issue is that my husband told me I could try to make them like each other OR I could re-home Aloe and keep his kitten and one other.

Aloe's mother was my first inside cat. We let her out so she could play and she liked it outside so she stayed. She then had Aloe's litter and I chose Aloe to stay inside. Now the mother cat has had this other litter. My fear is that they wont like each other at all and then we are all unhappy.

Another reason I am even considering re-homing Aloe is because she is a long haired white cat and her hair get all over EVERYTHING no matter how often I brush her and it causes allergy issues for my husband.

I guess all in all what I am asking is would you keep 2 new kittens from the same litter and re-home your inside cat. Or would you make the kitten and cat get along?

I love all the animals that I have and I don't like making decisions like this so any advice and suggestions would be great.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice needed

Post by Kay »

I may be reading too much into your post, but I sense from what you say that your OH isn't really attached to Aloe, and would be happy to see her gone

which is very sad for you and Aloe, but it might be kinder to find her a home where she can feel more relaxed - perhaps you could ask a local rescue to list her for you, while you try to bring her round to the idea of a new kitten

an indoor only, white cat should be popular, but I would start grooming her daily to get her used to it, if you don't already, so that a new potential owner doesn't get covered in white fur when viewing her
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Advice needed

Post by Meandmymunki »

I'm sorry if this offends you but seriously if the initial cat isn't really wanted then keeping more isn't a good idea as they will all turn into hairy big cats that moult.
As a priority you need to get the outside mummy cat neutered, perhaps get a rescue on board who will re home the kittens for you and neuter the mummy cat.