Found Cat - Struggling to help him!

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
ceelynn
New Cat Chatter

Found Cat - Struggling to help him!

Post by ceelynn »

Hello everyone

Long story short: a stray cat has been hanging around in our garden for a few months. We've been feeding him for about a month after deciding he was definitely stray and trying to get him to trust us so we could catch him and take him to the vet to check for a chip, but didn't have any luck until he unfortunately suffered a foot injury and I was able to grab him by his scruff and take him to our vet. Unsurprisingly, he was intact and not microchipped. He was given injections of pain relief and antibiotics for the foot injury and I brought him back home. He was really comfortable in our spare room, letting us stroke him, taking treats from our hands and being very chatty.

On Friday, I took him to be neutered and microchipped with the intention of rehoming him with a friend of ours. Then, as soon as I put him back in his room at our house, he surprised me by jumping out the first floor window! Luckily, he ran straight into our garden and was uninjured, but wouldn't let me touch him or pick him up to bring him back inside. He spent the night outside and finally did let me pick him up yesterday and I brought him back in.

I decided (maybe stupidly) that he needs to learn about coming in and out, so I let him out this morning after feeding him inside with the intention of bring him back inside tonight and he's currently laying in the sun in our garden, but has decided once again to not let me touch him. UGHH!

I'm now worried about rehoming him with our friend since he is so familiar with this neighborhood and at least knows where to come for food and safety (our garden), but I cannot adopt him myself since one of my cats really dislikes other cats. I'm worrying myself sick over this silly cat and don't know what's best for him. Does he want to be an outdoor cat? Does he just need a few weeks strictly indoors at a new house with a new family and then he'll sort out the indoor/outdoor thing himself and hopefully decide he enjoys people and indoor life?

Advice please!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Found Cat - Struggling to help him!

Post by Kay »

you've already done a lot for this lad, and I would suggest you carry on as you are for a couple of months at least - shutting in a previous stray during the warmest months will make both of you miserable, and he will need that time for his hormones to settle down anyway

if he'll come in willingly overnight that would be ideal, but I wouldn't force it for now

and I wouldn't worry about what will happen when he has to be shut in at a new home - that is a problem which all new owners face, and nothing you do or don't do will alter that
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi there - your boy sounds just like a tomcat I knew who started coming for his grub and who I managed to lure into a carrier and get neutered. Keep him in, they said. Especially as he was supposed to be taking antibiotics for an abscess. He too did a runner and I thought he'd never speak to me again. A week later he moved in and stayed with me till his death ten years later.

They're all different of course, but yes I'd definitely agree with doing what the cat wants to do, especially in this sort of case, bless him. Hope he soon gets over the insult to his manhood lol and that he settles happily into his new home. It's amazing how they do.

Oh and good on yer for rescuing him and giving him a fresh start in life :)
ceelynn
New Cat Chatter

Post by ceelynn »

Thanks ladies; I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I'm really hoping that once his hormones calm down (it sounds like this can take a few weeks?), he'll realise I'm only trying to help him! In the meantime, I've put his food in our little wendy house and propped the door open so he can at least have some shelter.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I would give him a few weeks for his hormones to calm down before trying anything else, if you can, as he'll stand a better chance of settling in a new home once the urge to roam has died down. Good on you for taking him under your wing! :)
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Yes I agree with everyone else, I do rescue and have Ferals in my garden, so I often have un neutered males turn up and not leave, the ones that don't want to be in and friendly generally are your best friend within 6 weeks of being neutered, others take a little longer but once he calms down I reckon he will slowly allow you to fuss him etc and then eventually want to be in and out. That is the time to then re home him.
ceelynn
New Cat Chatter

Post by ceelynn »

As you all predicted, he and I are now best friends. He's so lovely, but my two cats are already territorial with each other, so I am now on a mission to find him a new home. I'll post his info in that area of the forum. Thank you so much for your advice!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Seen him on your other post - he's gorgeous - your care shows, congrats! :D

Good luck with the rehoming, give him a fuss from me.