Two cats need rehoming quite urgently.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
mrrowleyuk
New Cat Chatter

Two cats need rehoming quite urgently.

Post by mrrowleyuk »

i have a question regarding re-homing. i have two lovely cats, that sadly i can no longer look after and i need to re-home them quite urgently. they are my daughters cats but she no longer lives at home with me and cannot take them with her. i have had to take a job overseas and so far have not been able to find any family or friends who can take them. i dont know where to look now. they are young (4 years) and healthy, both neutered (1 male and 1 female) and will make absolutely wonderful pets as they are house trained, gentle and sociable.
people have told me re-homing centres wont take them as they are over-crowded and i should think about putting them to sleep but this is not an option for me. am really at my wits end. can anyone tell me my options or who could help?
many thanks
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Two cats need rehoming quite urgently.

Post by Crewella »

You don't say what area you are in, but you'll find a list of local rescues on the link below and you need to ring round each and every one. Yes, they will probably all be full, but some will have a waiting list that you can ask them to put your cats on, and one or two might be willing to put them on their website and go through the adoption process (including homecheck) whilst the cats are still with you. Persistence is key - but please remember everyone you speak to will be doing what they do because they love cats, probably as a volunteer in their own time, but will be turning cats away on a daily basis because, sadly, there just are more needy cats than there are rescue spaces.

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, do check that the shelter has a no-kill policy. Good luck.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Two cats need rehoming quite urgently.

Post by Mrs Kane »

If you can afford it, and are able in the place you are moving, cat passports are a viable option if you want to keep them with you. Failing that have you tried advertising in local pets stores?

I would ring round every shelter in your area to confirm they can't take them as a precaution. You can find them on the local pages websites and yellow pages website as well. Failing that try fosters in your area. They may take them until they can be rehomed.

Try social media to advertise that you can't keep them to your friends. It may be that one you haven't spoken to is able to keep them.