Adopted Cat Help - Night Screaming

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
amya
New Cat Chatter

Adopted Cat Help - Night Screaming

Post by amya »

Hi All,

Last Saturday I adopted a cat, a mature boy who is about 11. Apparently his owner died a few months ago and he was left alone. He was living in a foster home for about 4 months until I took him home. He doesn´t seem to be settling in at all well. There is no interaction with us, he never seeks me out, he pretty much runs away every opportunity he gets and hides in a corner or under the bed... All of this, I can understand and could tolerate while he adjusts but the biggest issue is that he screams all night long, just yowls and throughout the entire night and nothing seems to calm him down. I am close to handing him back to his foster home - I live in a flat and my neighbours won´t put up with this for much longer. Anyone else had a similar experience that could offer me some advice as to how to improve the situation?

Thanks
Amy
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adopted Cat Help - Night Screaming

Post by Kay »

it's still very early days, and he's been through a lot - it would be such a shame if he gets moved on again

did he come to you after having a thorough health check? howling can be a symptom of Hyperthyroid or deafness

though it could be he is just disorientated at the moment, and confused - leaving the radio on low at night where he can hear it might help, as might putting a cuddly toy in his bed
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Others will be along I am sure, but I have had 2 night screamers in my time, so here goes!

The first was Brownie. She was a very VERY old cat and was my mother's darling. I took her to live with me after my mother passed away (kinda similar to your guy eh?). Brownie didn't start yowling for a few years, I cannot remember exactly when. I took her to the vet and he diagnosed her with feline dementia. Night yowling can be a sign of this, and she had other symptoms of general confusion. She was a very special cat, who had my mother well trained, and she then trained me. I had to go to bed when Brownie said so..... She slept in my bed (obviously!) and when SHE wanted me to come up, she would sit on the stairs and shout at me till I obeyed! That was before the dementia. After the dementia hit, she would yowl from the stairs calling me to bed at any time of day..... She was 24 years old when she finally died on my pillow in her sleep.

My other night screamer was Minnie, who is now at least 20. She doesn't yowl now, but when I rescued her she was in heat. She SCREAMED at night and it was just impossible. We were like zombies all day..... There were times I felt like throwing her out the window, so I DO understand your agony! It turned put that she had HUGE ovarian cysts, and had basically been in a constant heat for many many months..... It was probably why she was dumped in the first place. The vet took them out when he spayed her and she barely makes a sound now, just a tiny breathy meow. She also got mammary tumours as a result of all that hormonal nonsense, but survived thankfully, and is still here today.

Your guy is a lot younger than Brownie was when the dementia hit her. I suppose it is possible, but not very likely? I'd say he is just feeling lost and lonely...... Which is very sad. Does he sleep in the room with you? I know you say he doesn't interact, but maybe your prescience is comforting to him, and being shut away (if he cannot access you during the night) makes him lonely and upset?

He was in foster for 4 months..... Maybe he is missing them? Could you call those people and discuss it with them? They honestly won't judge you or anything. I have fostered many many times, and am always available to new owners if any problems arise. They will want the best outcome for both you and him, and will be able to advise you better than anyone, as they know him.

Cats are odd articles...... It could be a tiny difference that is making him upset, like the fact they leave e landing light on at night and you don't. It isn't a reflection on you at all. There are no rules about landing lights lol! But the cats get used to a certain thing, and the LEAST change can upset them. In your shoes, I would call the fosterers and be totally honest when discussing this. They are clearly cat people and will understand!

Keep us posted, and good luck!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

It has also just occurred to me, the foster family may have had other cats? Maybe one he bonded with? In which case he could be grieving for and calling his pal? I would really call the foster people before booking him in for a vet visit. When my mother died, Brownie had no interest in me or in life for months..... She was literally going to lie on my mothers pillow and refuse food till she died of heartbreak. I had to remove her from the house to save her life. Animal grieving is well documented and donkeys who lose their pal will almost certainly die within a year if not allowed to grieve over their dead friend. Contact the foster era, get a fuller picture, and then see about a vet check if nothing obvious pops up. I really hope you sort this poor guy out! X
amya
New Cat Chatter

Post by amya »

Thank you so much for the responses, I appreciate it. I am going to call his foster home this evening and talk it through with them. They mentioned he cried the first couple of nights with them but nothing like this. They also said he was affectionate which is he not being with me but as you have all said, this will take time. He was in a house with other cats, yes. 8 in fact although he was kept away from the others most of the time because he did not get on with the other males but every time I visited him, other cats were in and out to see him so perhaps it is that.

Thank you once again - I will keep you posted (and fingers crossed for tonight ;-))
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Do keep us posted! And I hope it works out for the poor little man..... He has been through a heck of a lot....... We expect them to cope with far more than we have to, yet they do not understand as we do. They still feel the same emotions and that has been proven. Thank you for caring for him mentally as well as physically. X