New home

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Katiekitty
New Cat Chatter

New home

Post by Katiekitty »

I've just moved into my own place and am taking one old cat from my mums house with me, I also have a little 3 month old kitten already in my new place. I need some advice!

Both cats are used to being around other cats but I'm terrified they will just fight and the kitten will get hurt! There is plenty of space for both cats but I'm hoping for a peaceful home! My old cat is female, had her for about 10/11 years now and the kitten is a little boy who's used turned 3 months, he's abit shy and more cuddly than playful and when they first met (one in a cage, one out) there was a little hissing as expected, the cats are separated at the minute (only got my old car today) but I'm worried about introducing them without a cage

Any advice?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New home

Post by Kay »

it's bound to be a stressful time for your girl, as she has a new place to get used to as well as a new companion

I'd give her a room to herself if possible with items in it that she is familar with, and even better which have her scent on, and yours too - your bedroom is likely to meet the bill best - for at least a couple of weeks - don't force her to share a litter tray, or food bowls, or sleeping space with the kitten until she feels at home in your new place - then you can start swapping them around, so he gets to sniff out where she has been, and she can explore the rest of the house without running into him

introducing them can start from there - expect hisses and swiping whatever you do, but he is unlikely to be too fazed by it and the dynamics will work out better if he accepts her as top cat

good luck and keep us posted
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: New home

Post by Crewella »

I completely agree with Kay, good advice. Cat Chat's help page on this might help give you an overview as well:

http://www.catchat.org/hierarchies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!