Lack of Cat Protection in Pembrokeshire, Wales

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
FelineFool6
New Cat Chatter

Lack of Cat Protection in Pembrokeshire, Wales

Post by FelineFool6 »

We desperately need some help here in West Wales. Too many people are not neutering/spaying their cats.

As 'senior citizens' we got down to two older cats and thought that would be it! We took in a very bedraggled, half-starved stray (after some time of trying). Turned out she was quite pregnant and gave birth to 6 kittens. We managed to home 3 but ended up with the mother plus the other 3 as there were so many kittens available locally!

My daughter has one cat (10 yrs). She lives in a small flat and is quite disabled. She was very upset by a stray cat who was desperate for food & attention, started to give it some food and now has about four stray cats coming round! She loves cats but is finding life so hard now (financially & time & effort) that it is really depressing her. She has to put food out twice a day for them and clean all the slug trail covered dishes off for them. One of these cats is a quite young, very nervous, pregnant female. What to do - who to contact? Who will help? More unwanted, unloved cats (if they even live!.

This situation is becoming unbearable for her, but there is not the help available for these cats or for her. She didn't ask for this but she is, like us, a soft touch for cats (or any other animal in need).
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Lack of Cat Protection in Pembrokeshire, Wales

Post by Kay »

I live in rural Carmarthenshire, and there is a big problem here with unneutered farm cats - not just because it means too many kittens, but inbreeding mean many are sickly and undersized

I feed two cats outside - I only offer Tesco's cheapest tinned food and cheap dry - just to put off any greedy cats who have a regular source of food - one unneutered male comes several times a week, and the other is a pedigree siamese, probably neutered, who has all his/her food from me, and who I shall try to take in later in the year when the disruption of having a new kitchen installed is over

your best bet is to try trapping, neutering and release rather than hoping for someone to take the cats off your daughter's hands - try http://www.catactiontrust.org.uk/index. ... e-about-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;