Please can someone help me to help my boy - toilet issues

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
joflo
New Cat Chatter

Please can someone help me to help my boy - toilet issues

Post by joflo »

I adopted an (approx) 8 yr old handsome ginger boy (Charlie) from my neighbour, who's mum has sadly passed away in April 2014. I had recently lost my beloved 16 yr old beautiful tabby girl and while I wasn't quite ready for another cat, I couldn't bear to think of this little boy not only stressed to the hilt after losing his owner, he was on his own in the house for about six weeks and he had been biting his back and had plucked almost all the hair out :(

He came to us one Monday and would not come near us for a week but eventually, became comfortable in his new home and is the most loving boy that I could ever have wished for, as soon as my butt is near the sofa, he is ready to jump up for a cuddle which is absolutely lovely. He even follows me about like a little puppy!!

HOWEVER..... We have a big problem - he has never used a litter tray nor a cat flap as is previous owner was home all day with him and let him out for a poop/pee as and when he wanted out and consequently, he defecates all over the house and it is becoming such a problem that the original parque floor (eek!) in my living room is getting ruined, the smell is just awful and almost permanent. I am out at work all day but what can i do! I have tried to get him to use the cat flap (buying a new flap, posting him in and out, praising him, giving him treats) but he just will not use it, as well as numerous types of litter and trays and he avoids them like the plague.

I have tried to confine him to one room which seems to make him worse as he thinks he is being punished but I am at the end of my tether, I have had him checked over, ears to tail and he is as strong as an ox.

Any suggestions you can give me would be gratefully received, it will absolutely break my heart if I have to re-home him but the bottom line is that I dread coming home to clear up mess every evening and it is putting a strain on my marriage, my hubby has been very understanding but we are nearing the end of the road called patience :(

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me.

x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Please can someone help me to help my boy - toilet issue

Post by Kay »

You need to move this. to Health and Behaviour

but meanwhile just a thought - have you tried filling a big litter tray with garden soil - perhaps even taking some from the garden of his old home if that is feasible
joflo
New Cat Chatter

Re: Please can someone help me to help my boy - toilet issue

Post by joflo »

thanks Kay. I can't access the old house but i'll re-post to the other forum.

j.