Advice please

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Caroline79
New Cat Chatter

Advice please

Post by Caroline79 »

I have a rescue 5 year old girl that has always been indoor. I got an indoor cat as I'm terrified something could happen to her outside. I have anxiety issues about being at home on my own at the moment so apart from me checking her at lunvhtime, she's on her own.

We're trying to cat proof the garden so she can, initially, have access to the garden when we're home.

I love her so much but Im worried I'm not being fair to her.

Any advice?
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Advice please

Post by Jacks »

You are being a loving, caring cat-mum, who has a cat who has never been outside and wouldn't know what to do with it!

If you manage to cat proof the garden and can then let her gently start to explore, that would be a new experience for her, which she may love. As it is you're not being unfair, you're caring for her. Don't beat yourself up. Plenty of play, things to do and things to watch from the window (like a bird feeder) and she will be a happy cat.

I don't have a cat-proofed garden and I have 5 - one was the local stray, so he does his own thing in and out, three go in and out when I or my husband are home, and never go more than one garden away, so I think they're safe. The 5th is indoor now, having been outdoor but getting into too much trouble - lost, trapped, injured, wandering in the road right next to a dual carriageway (she is a roamer and foolhardy). For my sanity and her safety she's now indoor only, loves to play - she's a wicked footballer - and is actually a happier, more settled cat. She loves a window ledge but no longer begs to go out. I was in a perpetual state of anxious torment worrying about her until I took the decision to keep her in.

Sounds like you're caring for your girl as best you can. At 5 years she's undoubtedly used to her life and a lot of cats are perfectly happy spending time on their own and sleep a lot anyway - as long as you make it quality time when you are home with her I don't think you've anything to worry about.